Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

building a boosted motor, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default building a boosted motor, few questions

im building a ls1 from the block up and its going into my 79 vette, and its going to get either a F-1 procharger or a maggie on high boost. a few things im wondering about while im building the motor.

heads- im looking at picking up trick flow or dart heads, but im unsure about the specs i should be looking for. should i be looking for the popular 210cc intake runners or should be going higher or lower? also same for the exhaust runner? as far as compression ratios go i know stock is 10:1 but what should i aim for with a motor that will be running medium to high boost? higher or lower?

cam- i know that heads and cam should be made to match so maybe this should have been first. anyways cam has always been the sweet spot for the ls1 motor so im looking at getting a bigger cam then stock, and i want a good cam that responds to superchargers well. looking for an off-idle power band. ive seen a few blower cams from texas speed but what do yall use/recommend for the application im going with?

plugs- colder spark correct? tr6's i believe is what i need correct me if im wrong.

block/crank-i already bought a used alum. block and was wondering how much hp is the stock block good for? looking to make somewhere in the area of 600rwhp, maybe a little higher. i plan on forged internals but would it be possible to just go with a stock crank as ive heard they are good up to 1000hp, or would it be wiser to just get a forged one?

im sure ill be posting more but these are my questions for now, thank and sorry for the long post.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump...
Old 06-07-2012, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Trick Flows>Darts. The LS Dart Heads are junk. If cost isnt an issue, I would look into Mast Motorsports LS3 Heads for a 3.9 Bore. ( http://www.mastmotorsports.com/2010/...sembled&id=360 )They flow insane, and you cant beat Mast's Quality. If you were to run those heads they would cost you about the same price as a bad *** set of trick flows and with the LS3 Head you would need a factory LS3 Intake or a FAST Intake.

The LS's like to breath, you can get away with some super agressive cams. I have seen built 347 Low compression car pick up 81hp on a cam swap (tsanaumi cam, texas-speed). Even though I am borderline on huge cam vs pratical application. I have ran both Insane cams and Middle of the road cams like the MS3. Between them both it depends on how you want the car to drive. RaulSS on here my friend has the MS3 Cam on a F1A 02' SS and it drives like a DD car. I have a very radical cam now and the car drives like a race car, it is jerky, cam surge, etc. But that doesnt bother me one bit. The car is purpose built. I would first think about how you want it to drive before you select a cam. Remember you can always make more power by just turning up boost. Ride quality is ride quality.

I run a colder plug, NGK BR7EF PART #3346 I believe thats the correct lettering. But I am also boosting the car around 20-21lbs. I would talk with your tuner and see what he suggests.

Good Luck breaking the stock block, you would be the first person I know that has broken one. My Tuner has a 1300hp turbo car with a 386 stroker motor in it and the block takes it like a champ!

Edit: I have seen a 427 block crack before, he was running 15.1 compression on E85 and I am not sure on the rest. He goes to AIR in Wheatridge, CO. Maybe they can chime in on the rest of his combo. I am not sure what all he had.

Stock Crank- here is were people vary, I have never seen one break. But I am sure there are people on here that have broke them. On my old setup, I put down over a 1000 uncorrected hp on a stock nodular crank on Nitrous. Comstar Callies rods and diamond forged pistons. There is another guy here in the forced induction section running a stock crank on a 02' Vette with a YSI. And, there is a Nova Turbo car at our local track running 8's on his stock crank. If you are worried about it spend the extra 860.00 bucks and get a K1 from texas Speed or a Lunati or Comstar Callies one.

What fuel are you planning on running and where do you live? After building 3 LS Motors, If I was going to run E85 or Race Fuel. I would have ran flat tops 10.1 compression or higher and boosted it. But I live at 5000 feet above sea level and can get away with a lot more up here; plus I dont drive the car a lot and or out of state. There is a lot to consider...

Last edited by 99Ls1fever; 06-07-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can get around 700-800 with a D1sc if you want to save some money, and go with that head unit. I want 900+ next year so f1 is the way to go. as far as heads, I hear alot of people focusing on deck thickness of .750 or 3/4. good gaskets, and studs are a must.as far as a cam, there are several blower cams to choose from. I bought the one from brutespeed, as many people have over the years. some people have them custom spec'd by comp or pat g. generally speaking a wider lsa is more boost friendly. In N/A form, you may not make the tq number, but they really do shine when boost is added. some people have picked up 70whp with that cam. I think ECS sells one, as well as thunder racing. The stock crank is fine, you will have to pin it, or if your planning on having it polished and balanced, you can have it keyed while out. tr6 plugs will be fine for your power level. lots of people running those with no issues for sure. other than that, focus on cooling it off, with items such as methanol kits, or vapor kits for the heads (you can make your own as others have or buy from a sponsor such as kurt urban). relieve the crank case pressure. Once all that is addressed, its pretty much in the tune.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
Trick Flows>Darts. The LS Dart Heads are junk. If cost isnt an issue, I would look into Mast Motorsports LS3 Heads for a 3.9 Bore. ( http://www.mastmotorsports.com/2010/...sembled&id=360 )They flow insane, and you cant beat Mast's Quality. If you were to run those heads they would cost you about the same price as a bad *** set of trick flows and with the LS3 Head you would need a factory LS3 Intake or a FAST Intake.

The LS's like to breath, you can get away with some super agressive cams. I have seen built 347 Low compression car pick up 81hp on a cam swap (tsanaumi cam, texas-speed). Even though I am borderline on huge cam vs pratical application. I have ran both Insane cams and Middle of the road cams like the MS3. Between them both it depends on how you want the car to drive. RaulSS on here my friend has the MS3 Cam on a F1A 02' SS and it drives like a DD car. I have a very radical cam now and the car drives like a race car, it is jerky, cam surge, etc. But that doesnt bother me one bit. The car is purpose built. I would first think about how you want it to drive before you select a cam. Remember you can always make more power by just turning up boost. Ride quality is ride quality.

I run a colder plug, NGK BR7EF PART #3346 I believe thats the correct lettering. But I am also boosting the car around 20-21lbs. I would talk with your tuner and see what he suggests.

Good Luck breaking the stock block, you would be the first person I know that has broken one. My Tuner has a 1300hp turbo car with a 386 stroker motor in it and the block takes it like a champ!

Edit: I have seen a 427 block crack before, he was running 15.1 compression on E85 and I am not sure on the rest. He goes to AIR in Wheatridge, CO. Maybe they can chime in on the rest of his combo. I am not sure what all he had.

Stock Crank- here is were people vary, I have never seen one break. But I am sure there are people on here that have broke them. On my old setup, I put down over a 1000 uncorrected hp on a stock nodular crank on Nitrous. Comstar Callies rods and diamond forged pistons. There is another guy here in the forced induction section running a stock crank on a 02' Vette with a YSI. And, there is a Nova Turbo car at our local track running 8's on his stock crank. If you are worried about it spend the extra 860.00 bucks and get a K1 from texas Speed or a Lunati or Comstar Callies one.

What fuel are you planning on running and where do you live? After building 3 LS Motors, If I was going to run E85 or Race Fuel. I would have ran flat tops 10.1 compression or higher and boosted it. But I live at 5000 feet above sea level and can get away with a lot more up here; plus I dont drive the car a lot and or out of state. There is a lot to consider...
far as ride quality goes i like a little bit of both i guess, and the fuel i would need to get as much hp and tq as i can get form a pump gas situation. i dont like being stuck on race gas on the street. i live in FL so im not really above sea level lol. i guess i wouldnt need to be worried about a stock crank then.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by usnfenix
far as ride quality goes i like a little bit of both i guess, and the fuel i would need to get as much hp and tq as i can get form a pump gas situation. i dont like being stuck on race gas on the street. i live in FL so im not really above sea level lol. i guess i wouldnt need to be worried about a stock crank then.
I would start on your fuel system first. Thats where people always cut the corners and wounder why they cant make the power they want. You put together a good fuel system wiuth a built motor you can push that F1 to the max; And that enough to be over 1000hp on the blower. If you want an example of a fuel system let me know. But thats where I would start.

If you are going to run 20lbs of boost or low 20's I would run 9.5 to 1 compression. I have never had any detanation issues. Again I dont live at sea level. The huge gains that are going to make you stand out from others is cylinder heads. I bet if I switched to the Mast LS3 heads I could pick up 60+ hp on my current motor. Next build I do they will be on the motor I can assure you that. Or TEA Trick flow 265 drag heads.

Do you have a Tuner picked out or someone you use? That is someone I would ask alot of these questions too, and its one on one contact where you can feel comftable with what you are hearing and ask questions.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
I would start on your fuel system first. Thats where people always cut the corners and wounder why they cant make the power they want. You put together a good fuel system wiuth a built motor you can push that F1 to the max; And that enough to be over 1000hp on the blower. If you want an example of a fuel system let me know. But thats where I would start.

If you are going to run 20lbs of boost or low 20's I would run 9.5 to 1 compression. I have never had any detanation issues. Again I dont live at sea level. The huge gains that are going to make you stand out from others is cylinder heads. I bet if I switched to the Mast LS3 heads I could pick up 60+ hp on my current motor. Next build I do they will be on the motor I can assure you that. Or TEA Trick flow 265 drag heads.

Do you have a Tuner picked out or someone you use? That is someone I would ask alot of these questions too, and its one on one contact where you can feel comftable with what you are hearing and ask questions.
tuner will more than likely be EFI alchemy here in jax fl. theyve been featured in one of gm's magazines and they know ls motors inside and out. i typically use ls1tech as my first resort though. thanks for the tips i appreciate it

Quick Reply: building a boosted motor, few questions