Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

discussion about overlap in a turbo cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default discussion about overlap in a turbo cam

Ive been researching quiet extensivly and there are many proven turbo cams out there along with countless custom grinds that work like a charm. Most all of them somewhat follow the same reasoning for duration, split, lift etc. But one thing I have noticed though is that overlap tends to be all over the place. Ive seem proven cams with anywhere from -11 all the way into +20 or 30.

How does overlap play into a turbo cams performance and why the wide variation. I would love a great performing turbo cam that also has a great lope. But obviously overlap is a byproduct of choosing lift, duration and LSA that fits the needs of a particular build.

Thoughts?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Overlap is in direct relation to the turbine to ci relationship.

More turbine you have, which gives you a better chance at achieving 1:1 backpressure to boost ratio or better, the more overlap it can tolerate.

For LS type engines in street car applications -3 to 14,15 is a range i work in. Thats at .050.

The most overlap the combo can tolerate is a good way to go.

I like more overlap in pump gas engines for the chamber cooling help it gives, and you can use it to set the dcr of the motor too.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok that makes sense. How does overlap correspond with spool time? Im looking to build a forged 370, possibly cathedral heads and pro flow intake. I know the turbo needs to be properly sized to your combo and goals. Since I want to be around 8-900 on the street ive heard an 88 matches up pretty well and offers fairly close to 1:1 backpressure. But I don't want it to be real laggy. Can this be solved with turbo selection or cam selection? Im assuming its a combination of both. Im fairly knowledgable in turbos, heads, cams, compression etc. But bringing it all together to a great combo seems overwhelming at times.

Quick Reply: discussion about overlap in a turbo cam