Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Coil Relocation...wires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Relocation...wires?

If I was to just mount my coils in line on my firewall and run wires under my flipped headers, can I just purchase a set of stock wires for a 1998 GMC with a standard V8? I got a set and they are the perfect length and are grey and black to boot. I don't know if it is solid, spiral, etc... Will they work or do you need an aftermarket one such as MSD?

I wasn't sure if any of the older stock ones would work. I didn't know what the difference is. My current ones are from a 2003 sububan 5.3 coil and wires. Like I said, these stock ones from O'reilly's fit like they were custom made but are called for a stock 350 NOT a LS style engine with coils.

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Del, I think the ends are different on the coil side.

I did the relocation on mine and just bought spools of MSD wire and bought MSD ends so I could make up the lengths I needed.

Since you already have the wires, just buy the MSD ends for the coil side and put them on your wires. The ends are pretty cheap.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

They will work fine. Ive used those wires and Lt1 wires on LS coils.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay. Thanks. They were a perfect fit and look custom so just wanted to make sure. Eventually I will just do the MSD wires. Just trying to see how "budget" I can get my set up.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Launching!

as long as the wires dont get hot and break, keep stock ones, easy to replace at any store. MSD's are overpriced and I am willing to bet you cant tell any difference in performance.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by typhoon1015
as long as the wires dont get hot and break, keep stock ones, easy to replace at any store. MSD's are overpriced and I am willing to bet you cant tell any difference in performance.
That is what I am hoping. Ie., "can't tell a difference." One of my friends had said something about the LS wires being short and the ones I was using since they were longer and NOT for coil packs that I should ask because something about losing ohms? These wires will now be located from the firewall under the flipped manifolds and shouldn't see any heat. I plan to go ahead and also put the stock heat shields back on my manifolds to also help keep heat off the wires.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Coil Relocation...wires?