Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New engine, different set up, is this safe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default New engine, different set up, is this safe?

A friend of mine and I have been working on a twin turbo'd C5. The car is suppose to be tuned for 6psi. When we got the car the engine was burning coolant and keeping low oil pressure. Well we were hired to pull the engine, have it rebuilt, reinstall it, and have the car tuned. In the midst of all that we found of all that it had a head cracked (ported 317s). The owner said he wasn't worried about squeezing ever once of power out of it so we used a set of 853s that we had laying around to save him some money. The machine shop says with the pistons, head gaskets, and heads we'll be using we should have close to the same compression ratio as the set up it was tuned for. Well I know absolutely nothing about forced induction so my question is since the car was tuned for the previous set up, and we're going to have a new engine in need of a break in period, will it hurt to start and drive the car for a short time (easily of course) before throwing it on the dyno and ******* it?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
Well I know absolutely nothing about forced induction so my question is since the car was tuned for the previous set up, and we're going to have a new engine in need of a break in period, will it hurt to start and drive the car for a short time (easily of course) before throwing it on the dyno and ******* it?
It will likely be ok but the safest way to go about things is assume nothing. It is damaged for a reason right?

At the very least, scan the car and make sure your fuel trims are within an acceptable range and do not enter positive manifold pressure until it's in the hands of someone that can competently tune it.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well said

Quick Reply: New engine, different set up, is this safe?