Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

over heating(large frame turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a small radiator, no airflow due to a small single fan and a pump that can't keep up. I bet this setup is designed for a drag car.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Looks like a small radiator, no airflow due to a small single fan and a pump that can't keep up. I bet this setup is designed for a drag car.
was told plenty of street car using this setup here is a pic of the radiator and fan setup on his website the radiator is a double pass also

http://www.BurkhartChassis.com/id79.html
Old 08-13-2013, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My old setup was BW s480 t6 1.10 mounted same way as yours. Same symptoms, get on it hard, spray coolant on the windshield, cruise was fine, temp was fine, but get on it, overheat, and shoot water out. I jacked with it for a few weeks, tried everything. Ended up being heads were lifting. Hope that's not your situation, but sure sounds the same. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WTF?
My old setup was BW s480 t6 1.10 mounted same way as yours. Same symptoms, get on it hard, spray coolant on the windshield, cruise was fine, temp was fine, but get on it, overheat, and shoot water out. I jacked with it for a few weeks, tried everything. Ended up being heads were lifting. Hope that's not your situation, but sure sounds the same. Good luck.
where was your coolant coming from? only coolant came out of mine was the overflow the pin size whole on the top of it but it was spraying like 2 feet in the air
Old 08-13-2013, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, I didn't have the overflow tank hooked up, so the nipple was uncapped. Everytime I would boost, a stream of water would shoot out. Custom radiator, with the nipple in the cap housing like old school.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WTF?
Yep, I didn't have the overflow tank hooked up, so the nipple was uncapped. Everytime I would boost, a stream of water would shoot out. Custom radiator, with the nipple in the cap housing like old school.
ugh hopefully it isnt a head gasket, just got the car done not even two weeks ago havent even put 50 miles on it nor really had a chance to race it
Old 08-14-2013, 07:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt it is the heads lifting, tune up is very conservative. Check the voltage at the water pump and the closed shroud might be hurting you at speed.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hellbents10
I doubt it is the heads lifting, tune up is very conservative. Check the voltage at the water pump and the closed shroud might be hurting you at speed.
TJ,

chuck at burkhart told me to not cut holes in the shroud? i will check voltage today how much should it have? i ordered the blanket and wrap should be here this weekend, im gonna try to find my airdam and put that back on also or get a sheet metal one fabbed up if i cant locate mine

Ryan
Old 08-14-2013, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't have an air dam, this would play a crucial part in directing air to your radiator. Especially with the Trans Am front bumper. A lot of guys cut a gaping hole in the front bumper to help direct air flow to their FMIC and radiator. If you do that, I garuntee you would see improvements, but it won't be necisary if you fab up and air dam.

When I first went boosted I was concerned of my engine temps (I had also removed the air dam). It was getting hot under normal driving and if I got into boost on a summer day it was WAY too hot. All I did was fab up an air dam to direct cold air from underneath the car to the radiator, and my temps dropped way down to almost normal NA driving temps. (I am still running the factory radiator and fans). Granted mine is a supercharged setup and not a turbo setup, but regardless of how big the radiator is or what the fan setup is, if you don't have mass amounts of air getting to the radiator, you have nothing for your radiator to work with.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your radiator cap is lower than ur engine you most likely have air trapped in the system. Jack the right side of the car up untill the cap is the highest point to where coolant can go. Cycle the waterpump on and top it off. Also do you have the waterpump continuously runnig? Its very possible that you are moving too much coolant and it isnt getting a chance to cool off.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

scratch putting the airdamn back on the radiator is pass the stock mounting point might be able to get a custom sheet metal one done damn my wallet is hurting
Old 08-14-2013, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

It shouldn't be too cosmic price wise. I'd try to reuse the same material as sheet metal will not act the same when you scrape going over a speed bump. It shouldn't be too complicated to just tap new holes in place where you need them.

Anything there will make the difference you are looking for. No air dam = no air for the radiator to work with air in the system or not.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trans2000am
ugh hopefully it isnt a head gasket, just got the car done not even two weeks ago havent even put 50 miles on it nor really had a chance to race it
Tell me about it. My tru boost solenoid was stuck upen and boosted to 25-30lbs. Only drove down my road like 5 times and my catch can was half full with coolant.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by T76s10
Tell me about it. My tru boost solenoid was stuck upen and boosted to 25-30lbs. Only drove down my road like 5 times and my catch can was half full with coolant.
was able to figure it out, thank god it wasnt a head gasket, i got a blanket on the turbo, wrapped the manifolds, wrapped the downpipe and switched to coolant havent had an issue since then still gets up near 208ish but im fine with that
Old 10-03-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

that's good news!

Quick Reply: over heating(large frame turbo)