Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lasershop's C5 Corvette driveshaft mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lasershop's C5 Corvette driveshaft mod

I know, its stretching it a bit with this in the FI section. I don't think anyone actually reads the Corvette section where this thread started. It is because of the FI power adder this mod was necessary....

1997 C5, never did like how frail looking the actual drive shaft was. It was like 2.07" or something diameter and very thin. I know they got better in later years and I know you can spend whatever you want on an aftermarket but I try to make as much as possible on my own. With the twin turbo motor the stock shaft was going to fail eventually and I had panned this for a while. On Ebay I bought a spool of Carbon Fiber, what they call "Tow". Its the base strands for what becomes the woven fabric. I got the 12K thickness/weight/ whatever that means. Its a quarter inch wide and has many strands.

I laser cut (thats what we do) a couple of end plates so the shaft could roll on its own bearings. I had this 110v gear motor for literally decades and Im such a hoarder I never knew what I could ever use it for. With a pulley and a timing belt I had laying around I made it all work and it turns about 50 RPM. The gear motor has massive torque and I was able to get the "tow" really tight as the shaft spun. The tow comes on a spool and I just put a shaft through it so I could hold it with both hands.

Using a good quality epoxy I did my best to wind it on with no overlap or space. Took about 10 full minutes to go the length of the shaft and I made 5 passes for a thickness of almost .125" exactly. The couplers are custom made Magnesium.

The carbon fiber wrap came out really good and really even. There is no balancing service anywhere near me so I am going to install it as is. If it gives me trouble then maybe balance it some other time.

So even at that the entire torque tube was polished to match the rest of the car. The bottom of the Vette really had more polish and detail than most custom engine bays.

Original 4L60E was painted a metallic silver and urethane clear.
I was in the auto trans biz a very long time ago but I was a builder and I still have all my tools. This one is a full race, 100% roller bearing with every billet and every state of the art part available except for the 300M shafts. It was built back when the economy was good and we could afford the mods. Also have a Yank SS3600 Corvette converter.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking forward to the completion of this thing. Artwork...
Old 04-01-2014, 04:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

So you just covered the stock shaft with carbon fiber?

Ron
Old 04-01-2014, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Bling...bling...but what's the point of the CF wrap on the DS? I can see the benefit of having a CF driveshaft, but the wrap?

Andrew
Old 04-01-2014, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
So you just covered the stock shaft with carbon fiber?

Ron
Exactly. But its not carbon fiber woven fabric. Its tightly wound flat strands. It is actually a process used in the aftermarket. I personally feel a lot more confident in the unit now.

http://www.dynotechengineering.com/r...berwrapped.htm

Quick Reply: Lasershop's C5 Corvette driveshaft mod