Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ProCharger Head Unit Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bravo sir, Bravo! Very nice build, I'm jealous...

I always thought... If some way you could rig up an A/C evaporator core to pull the inlet air to the charger across. Would be a major temp reducer. I would bet the Meth comes close to dropping it by just as much.

Alchemist, Do you run straight meth or a H2O mix? Also, do you run one meth pump or two?
Old 04-22-2014, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most usually run one good pump.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Monte4ever
Monte,
Are you running a corvette kit?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Monte4ever
Gotcha.

Who is making the best Meth pumps now a days? I have a Snow with a boost reference controller kit laying around that I was going to throw on. Was wondering if there is a better pump on the market that I should use...
Old 04-23-2014, 10:15 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BTLBABY
Bravo sir, Bravo! Very nice build, I'm jealous...

I always thought... If some way you could rig up an A/C evaporator core to pull the inlet air to the charger across. Would be a major temp reducer. I would bet the Meth comes close to dropping it by just as much.

Alchemist, Do you run straight meth or a H2O mix? Also, do you run one meth pump or two?
I'm still experimenting with what I'm running... I'll leave it at that. It's the truth. I'm doing some data logging of 100% meth vs. 50/50 mix, with the proper tuning of course. There's benefits to doing both. I'm running just one pump, the pump that comes with the Aquamist kits.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

Rite on. Nothing wrong with a lil testing and tuning. Do you feel like discussing some of the advantages? I know the H2O mix is saver to use because it's not flammable at static.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:32 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Here's the crux of it.... it really is a case of what are you after.

MeOH : you can't add too much of it, because it just keeps burning. Adjust your AFR to stay within your targeted range and you're good to go. Downside is it's flammable, so a leak is bad, really bad. Also, if you're going to spray a large amount, I would suggest going to a port injection setup so you can meter it directly into each cylinder more uniformly. Now you need a 8 port manifold and 8 nozzles. It also doesn't cool as well as water does. Sure it evaporates quickly, but that's a downside since it doesn't 'absorb' as much heat. Again, what are you after.

Water/ Water:MeOH: positive side is that it doesn't impact the tune as much since it's not impacting afr (water of course). Cools and slows the burn rate, which can be detrimental if you inject too much. It pulls out roughly 4 times as much heat as MeOH does, so for spraying into the blower/turbo, water is far better than MeOH alone. Water/MeOH is also cheaper than straight up MeOH and it's more readily available as Boost Juice.

In all honesty, I'm not sure it makes a huge difference for me. I'm not pushing my car to it's limit trying to get every tenth out of it, but I'm a scientist and like to experiment, so trying different blends is another thing for me to tinker with and look at.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you considered including some acetone in a mix?^^

I have thought about spraying a mix of water/methanol(heet)/and acetone. I can get acetone cheaper than meth. Family member is a manager at beauty products outlet store. They sell acetone by gallons.
Gonna be doing it on my 4.8 to test it. Without ic and with. Spray pre compressor on psi switch. Ive been spraying pre compressor and have known about for very long time.
Hell the guy that taught me about turbo stuff use to spray gasoline pre compressor tapped from the rail. An injector placed in front of the wheel in the intake tube. Rigged on a psi switch that powered the injector. And also had meth/h20. A nozzle amd the injector.
Ran like a dam bat out of hell. Never blew up or burned down. It just worked.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:25 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

The latency of heat with MeOH is higher than for Acetone. I have access to lots of different chemicals, specifically solvents, and MeOH is the best one to use.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

Now this is good stuff... Thank you Alchemist for the explanation of the differences!

Always thought the H2O mix was better at pulling the heat. So I guess the guys that are trying to raise their octane more with the spray are using straight MeOH? Or does the water do better at that as well?
Old 04-23-2014, 06:59 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well, here's the thing you have to remember about octane ratings. Octane is a measurement of resistance to knock or pre-ignition. So injecting water alone raises your octane dramatically because it will cool the chamber, cool the flame front, so you get a longer burn, ie more torque, but cool it too much and you'll lose power.

In theory, water has an octane value of infinity since it won't pre-ignite, but methanol has an octane of ~99. So if you want to raise your octane level, you're better off running 50/50 meth/water and you'll be able to run more timing that way and make more power. It really is a better option in my book than straight meth, but there's plenty of people who will argue straight meth is better, which is fine. We all have our own justifications for what we chose to do.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

I hear ya. I've always seen the argument between the two and it always turns into a pissing match it seems.

What little I've read up on it, I also have thought that the H2O mix was a little better, and most definitely safer for street applications. That's why I wanted to hear what your outlook on it was. You seem to have a pretty balanced opinion on things.

Quick Reply: ProCharger Head Unit Temperature