Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3L turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3L turbo build

I am relatively new to this forum although I have visited a few other times in search of information. I am seeking helping building a 01 5.3L turbo. While visiting a few other sites I have gathered info on the general things I will need to change, such as larger injectors, valve springs, LS motor mount adaptor plates, oil pan, ect. My power goals with Meth injection are 800hp (or around that) on pump gas. for the strip and to run less boost on the street. This may or may not seem like a lot to some people. I seek to find out what size cam and what size turbo I should run to attain this goal and any other helpful feedback is appreciated.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best place to go for a cam is tick performance, thats just about where everyone gets their turbo cams from around here. As far as turbo goes, if price is an issue and you have some room in your engine bay, go with a Borg warner s475 of s480 depending on if you want to crank it up in the future. What car will this setup be going in?
Old 05-27-2014, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Slamb1989
I am relatively new to this forum although I have visited a few other times in search of information. I am seeking helping building a 01 5.3L turbo. While visiting a few other sites I have gathered info on the general things I will need to change, such as larger injectors, valve springs, LS motor mount adaptor plates, oil pan, ect. My power goals with Meth injection are 800hp (or around that) on pump gas. for the strip and to run less boost on the street. This may or may not seem like a lot to some people. I seek to find out what size cam and what size turbo I should run to attain this goal and any other helpful feedback is appreciated.
What trans is going to be in the car?
What is the main use of the car? Street or Race?

Originally Posted by 66Chevellelq4
Best place to go for a cam is tick performance, thats just about where everyone gets their turbo cams from around here. As far as turbo goes, if price is an issue and you have some room in your engine bay, go with a Borg warner s475 of s480 depending on if you want to crank it up in the future. What car will this setup be going in?
Why is it the best place for a cam? I have bought two cams in the last months for two different projects and they were not tick cams. There are tons of sponsors that spec cams.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by caMnaro
What trans is going to be in the car?
What is the main use of the car? Street or Race?

Why is it the best place for a cam? I have bought two cams in the last months for two different projects and they were not tick cams. There are tons of sponsors that spec cams.
Alot of people have run their cams and put down great numbers. Also a great company to work with, good customer support. It was just a suggestion.....i know theres tons of companies out there
Old 05-27-2014, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On the cam, talk to lilJohn or Martin @ Tick (they both have many many happy customers). They can both help you pick out the correct turbo for the combo.

Good luck.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:03 PM
Teching In

The main use for the car will be street with occasional strip use on the weekends. This setup is going in a 1964 Chevelle. The trans is a 375 turbo I'm going to have rebuild to handle the extra power and I'm leaning towards reverse manual valve body. Thanks for the advice guys I'll check out tick for advice as well!

Quick Reply: 5.3L turbo build