Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Broke me LS2. What will it take to bolt in a 4.8/5.3

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Broke me LS2. What will it take to bolt in a 4.8/5.3

I took my C6 to the strip yesterday and the motor destroyed itself. H/C/I LS2 is making a huge knock. Wrecked the block and cam.
New to me car. Buyers beware when buying a used car. We found evidence of a Nitrous kit and many loose bolts when we tore the car down last night

This is what I'm wanting to do.
I already have a nice front mount kit with a Billet PTE 7675. So I was thinking I would just throw in a like new 2008 4.8 (free to me) and boost it.
The motor is spotless and the price is right I dont care about the added weight of the Iron block and I think the 4.8 will be perfect for the lil 76/75. No back pressure worries, iron blcok and its has 243s

Anyone know what I will have to do to make the short block bolt in. I think the knock sensors are in a different place.
Will this ls2 timing set bolt up to the cam.
I believe the 4.8 is a 58x motor. Will the crank position sensor be the same.
Any other sensors in different places or holes in the block that need to be drilled and or tapped.

Someone school me on these 4.8s please. Its one of the only LS motors I have not had.
thanks in advance
Old 05-30-2014, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Poor car. It's tough seeing it ripped apart like that. Bought it so I don't have to wrench anymore.
Attached Thumbnails Broke me LS2. What will it take to bolt in a 4.8/5.3-image-371854516.jpg  
Old 05-30-2014, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your LS2 a 24x or 58x? 24x will have a black crank sensor and 58x will have a grey sensor. Other then the knock sensors everything will be straight forward and common between the two motors. You will need to drill and tap the front of the block for the accessory bracket as well. Or just use one less bolt.

Id say go through the 4.8L and gap the rings since its pretty new. then let it eat! Im gonna assume...were you the one selling the turbo kit on kijiji? I saw a pretty slick setup that was on a red vette on there and recall it being a 7675 turbo.

Jay
Old 05-30-2014, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

Ya Jay that's my setup. Was selling because I was really happy with the power the car was making without the kit. Now she make no power . I'll double check and see if it's 58x or 24x. I assumed it was 58x cause it's an 06. I just got pictures of the 6.0L and it's not nearly as clean as the 4.8L. Not sure what to do now. The 6.0L is the better motor but you never know the history. If you know anyone looking for a nice nitrous kit let me know. I listed it online this morning. Need to round up some cash ASAP

Quick Reply: Broke me LS2. What will it take to bolt in a 4.8/5.3