Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A really bad turbo setup, will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 05:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A really bad turbo setup, will it work?

Hi,

I've previously posted here and gotten great answers. I would now like your advise on something.

I have a 69 corvette with a t56 and ls1 from an fbody 2002 that I converted through the last couple of years. Now I went into the technical inspection here in Sweden and as changes has been done to the engine and trans they demanded a much more complicated process to once again get the car street legal. This "advanced" inspection involves a dyno run, an exhaust sound level check etc and ofcourse will set me back like a grand.

While I'm at it I would like to get eveything into the title and I have for a while been thinking about going turbo so I would love to have that in the title aswell so I don't have to go through all of this pain again.

The limitations that I need to follow is that the car isn't allowed to produce more then 430 fwhp when the inspection is done, the turbo is not allowed to be unreasonably big for the 430hp power goal and I need to put more then 3 psi on it (to motivate why I go turbo). To meet these requirements I've been thinking about buying one of these kits:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-T4-HYBRID-25PSI-TURBO-SQV-PIPING-KIT-CHEVY-SBC-66-96-LS1-LT1-SS-CORVETTE-Z28-/281133751162?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4174e09b7a&vxp=mtr
I understand that the kit is far from optimal and that quality leaves a lot to long for but the kit will only be on the car for like 500 miles maximum (to the technical inspection and dyno run). Later on during the winter I can build a real turbo kit and exchange this one, from that point on the car will be "legal" with a turbo and no one will see any difference between a AR72 and 57....

What do you guys think, is that kit a hazzard to my engine. Will it run good enough on there for the inspection man to actually believe me when I say that I intend to keep it?

Best Regards
Axel
Old 05-31-2014, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

is it a hazzard... ehh not really. potentially could be though if the turbo comes apart, wastegate doesnt open etc (although not sure the pissy little turbo could break a ls1 hahaha)... getting it to fit and work properly might be a pain in the ***. as far as only making 430 fwhp you would probably be on the edge above 3 psi even with a junk turbo. be prepared to jack the tune up to kill power haha.

if the guy questions if you intend to keep it tell him you cant afford to buy a good kit because you have to pay ridiculous bullshit money for an inspection to get it approved so its your only choice.

btw "ar72 or 57". the 57 is the trim of the compressor wheel and in no way indicates the size of it. infact in that add i cant find any sizes at all... but says t3 hotside which means the turbo is likely as tiny as it looks.

i would say pass on that but... i do understand your goal. i guess if youre willing to go through the effort
Old 05-31-2014, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

after looking at that ad again (pictures didnt load so i checked again) it lists camaros all the way to 67. lol.. you need to find the "real" ls1 car turbo kit. that ad is just some generic bullshit def do not buy that

Quick Reply: A really bad turbo setup, will it work?