Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

The Mopar guys have taken off the gloves!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 07-22-2014, 01:43 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SOMSS
You're just pissy that a Hellcat with pulley, exhaust and tune will likely run what your heavily modded F-body does.
If dumbass Richard can get 10.80's out of one on DR's imagine what a real driver will get out of one.

Still, new ****, give me an LS motor. Old stuff, GM didn't have anything that came close to the cars Chrysler put out.
Not pissy at all. I hope I run into one and see how well it can keep up.

It doesn't take much to run what he did. It's an auto, so put it in track mode or whatever it is set to, raise rpms to a certain level, stab and steer. It didn't look like it had much wheel spin at all, so it's not like he had to peddle and 6-speed stick to get the best launch out of it, or had to nail the shift points.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist

Not pissy at all. I hope I run into one and see how well it can keep up.

It doesn't take much to run what he did. It's an auto, so put it in track mode or whatever it is set to, raise rpms to a certain level, stab and steer. It didn't look like it had much wheel spin at all, so it's not like he had to peddle and 6-speed stick to get the best launch out of it, or had to nail the shift points.
You will run better flashing the stall clearly you don't know how to drive an auto
Old 07-22-2014, 03:34 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by "MAC"
You will run better flashing the stall clearly you don't know how to drive an auto
You're right, I don't know how to drive an auto, but within 2-3 passes I'm sure I could figure it out, which is far quicker than learning how to launch a high power manual.

You're also under the assumption that it has a loose converter. How you launch an auto depends entirely on the type of converter in it. I'm sure Dodge spent plenty of time with the Gas Monkey crew getting them to run the best time possible. I'm sure that wasn't his first pass down the track.

Like I said, it's great that Dodge finally caught up to Chevy and Ford with putting more power into their 'pony' car. I'm just curious to see what it does in the real world.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Alchemist

You're right, I don't know how to drive an auto, but within 2-3 passes I'm sure I could figure it out, which is far quicker than learning how to launch a high power manual.

You're also under the assumption that it has a loose converter. How you launch an auto depends entirely on the type of converter in it. I'm sure Dodge spent plenty of time with the Gas Monkey crew getting them to run the best time possible. I'm sure that wasn't his first pass down the track.

Like I said, it's great that Dodge finally caught up to Chevy and Ford with putting more power into their 'pony' car. I'm just curious to see what it does in the real world.
So you think spending a few hrs with this guy to make that run the hero run huh? Funny because id bet my yearly salary that he isn't the best driver in the world nor is dodges crew either. Also when i had my brand new stall i ran at the track it wasn't loose but hey still flashing it made me run better times...
Old 07-22-2014, 03:42 PM
Banned

Also there are 3 different ways to drive an auto:

1) flashing
2) build up RPMs then go
3) ease into the throttle bc you didn't bring the right tire.

Know how to your car performs is best on how to get the best ET.

Manuals are harder to drag race with too and are slower but hey id rather run more consistent then fill up an entire thread of bull **** excuses as to why i dont like a car or why i didn't run faster than i should.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:51 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Wow, who pissed in your cereal today?

It's been shown time and time again with the newer crop of high performance autos, that they are quite repeatable with various different drivers behind the wheel. So yes, I think without a doubt, you could grab 10 different drivers, with varying degrees of experience, and their variability in times in an auto car would be within 0.2-0.3 seconds. Why do you think they put drag radials on the car? So it would make it more repeatable and easier to get a consistent good time out of the car. They showed that with the ZL1 camaro with it's launch control mode. GM had loads of automotive writers on hand and produced consistent times with them.

What's your experience with a high hp auto with all of the electronic aids? Just curious.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No doubt GM has taken care of there enthusiast . The LS7 is one example of that. CNC heads titanium rods dry sump oiling. And like you said the list goes on and on. But the HellCat has raised the bar. Just wait until a tuner gets there hands on it with a set of slicks and a converter. I bet 10:30's or 40's won't be far off .
Old 07-22-2014, 03:57 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

For the record, I like the car for what it is, but I'm just not shocked in amazement. Dodge did to it nothing different than what Ford did with the GT500 or Chevy did with the ZL1. Put a built motor in it, with a positive displacement blower, bigger brakes and better suspension, and tweaked the electronic aids. Dodge just upped the hp level to top the other two.

Now if they went with a twin turbo setup, then I'd be impressed that they went down a different path. Let's be honest, the Hellcat is simply a copy of the same recipe of the GT500 and ZL1, but with just a higher hp number.

I'd really like to see all three compared at the same track(s) *road course and strip* at the same time and see which of the three comes out on top.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

There has never been a domestic V8 muscle car produced from the factory with a turbo or twin turbos correct? At least I cannot think of a single domestic V8 turbo'd muscle car from the factory. And I don't believe we will ever see one from the US muscle cars. Which I cannot understand why? If you want to make huge power and it be controllable through all aspects, you go turbo. Why is it that the US wants to keep that nostalgia factor of a V8 ABSOLUTELY HAS TO be matched to a supercharger? I don't get it...
Old 07-22-2014, 06:16 PM
Banned

Idk maybe bc of liability or bc they just want to...
Old 07-22-2014, 06:29 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Nate, I agree with what you're saying. With the advances in turbos in the past 3 to 4 years, id love to see a tt-v8 domestic. Hell, I run a procharger and daily drive a saab 93 that's making more boost than factory and love it.

As cool as the Hellcat is, I hate the sound of those superchargers. I know, the procharger isn't exactly quiet, but its a different type of sound.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:53 PM
FormerVendor

I would lover for Jermie and the guys from Top Gear put the 3 super charged muscle cars through there paces.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris@CBR
I would lover for Jermie and the guys from Top Gear put the 3 super charged muscle cars through there paces.
Hell yea that would be amazing. And then the Stig putting each through its paces to see who is the fastest on their track.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

^^^ yeah, real British top gear would be great. Not those idiots from here. Tanner is ok but those other two don't even get me started. Even though they would just make fun of our American crap the whole time. Still be awesome.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:47 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Only thing I can think of is now they are coming out with twin turbo v-6's, which most likely it's a packaging issue, maybe. Maybe they know that there's no stopping people from upping the boost with a simple tune lol.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:23 PM
FormerVendor

If ford put there EcoBoost truck motor in a Mustang that would be the one I would buy.
There are 4 door 4x4 trucks running 12's with that little V6.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:32 PM
Banned

If ford put there EcoBoost truck motor in a Mustang that would be the one I would buy.
Hell yea i agree on that one.

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...pecs-revealed/

They put the ecoboost 4cylinder engine in it. Which makes more power than their v6 version. Not by much though
Old 07-22-2014, 11:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NateLS1Mustang
There has never been a domestic V8 muscle car produced from the factory with a turbo or twin turbos correct? At least I cannot think of a single domestic V8 turbo'd muscle car from the factory. And I don't believe we will ever see one from the US muscle cars. Which I cannot understand why? If you want to make huge power and it be controllable through all aspects, you go turbo. Why is it that the US wants to keep that nostalgia factor of a V8 ABSOLUTELY HAS TO be matched to a supercharger? I don't get it...
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire was the first I believe. All aluminum V8 turbo.

http://www.tctc.com/~park/mph/pageCL...2JET/62jet.htm
Old 07-22-2014, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

I picked up a magazine article, I believe around January of this year, that stated Ford will be putting the ecoboost engine in the new generation mustang (2015 or 2016). And if I recall, I believe it also stated that they will not be putting a V8 in the mustang when the new generation debuts. It will only be a regular 4 cylinder or it'll be the ecoboost engine.

I am pretty sure that is what I read, I have the magazine right here and can actually check it real quick.

Quick Reply: The Mopar guys have taken off the gloves!!