Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My first turbo build - 01 WS6 with On3 A/C kit and Turbonetics 7575 **VERYLONG READ**

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

That 75/75 turbo is capable of 1100 hp, so there is a lot left in it. I am positive the OP is running out of fuel pump right now.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree. Single pump is limiting it. I think the injector duty cycle would drop with twin pumps. Agree?
Old 12-18-2014, 12:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Thank you for the detailed thread OP. So much has been said about the On3 kit, both good and bad, so it's nice to have your detailed write-up/experience with the said kit. For what it is, and the price, it's damn hard to beat. I'm still playing around with the idea of going FI, so this seems to be a very viable, budget friendly, option. I know you're right above 600 rwhp as it stands now, but do you think the On3 kit will support 700 rwhp+? Also, what other, larger, turbos are compatible with the On3 kit?
The turbo he has will support over 700 rwhp pretty easily through an M6. I made 677 rwhp with a Turbonetics 7875 on 16 lbs. through a 4L80E.

Nice writeup OP. Sounds like the car is a blast.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

It sucks that We need to use a tubular K member. Can we use any brand or the one that ON3 mentions in on their site, a BMR, I think.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Another question regarding the k-member is this; could the stock k-member be modified to fit this kit, or would there be no way?

Edit: I see they make a non AC kit that will work with stock k-member.

One last question; what would be a more "budget friendly" turbo that would support 700+ rwhp and still work with this kit?

Last edited by Rise of the Phoenix; 12-18-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On3 sells their own turbos that have been pretty reliable from what I have read. I actually plan to use one on my G8 with their Camaro kit because I am 99% sure it will all bolt on there and probably be easier then the Fbody.

To go on the ultimate budget to get one with the A/C delete would save at least $650 just for the Kmember. The one I used was actually a PA racing one I got from Jon at Huron Speed because I initially planned to go with their A/C kit, but impatience got the best of me and I discovered the On3 account and went that route. I added it up and figure going with On3 stuff it could be installed for ~$3500 - 4000 if you went with the A/C delete. I plan on going that route down the road with a vert for another fun cruiser.

I expect there is plenty left in the turbo like mentioned, it's supposed to be good to 1000 - 1200 from what I recall. My injector duty is running high because I am sure I am maxing out the pump. Plan to order up a double pump kit in the next month or so and throw that in there. I ran into a similar issue when I had a ruptured fuel line and I was maxing out stock injectors with the same pump.

I figure with the 317's on there I should be safe to run into the Mid teens as long as I keep the timing down and hit well into the 700 mark. I always said my goal was 1000 rwhp and it has slowly turned into 1000 to the crank. Honestly depends on what the turbo ends up maxing out at and if I want to deal with putting something bigger in.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I wonder if a MWC K member would work. They are under $400 and since I already have their FAB9 rear, I want to stick with them.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome I am following both your build and also ******. With all this being said, when I was doing my turbo build I went with the on3 non/ac kit and it fit like a glove and I had no complaints. Then life got in the way and sold the car due to a deployment but you guys are definitely giving me motivation for when I get back to the states!
Old 12-19-2014, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
I wonder if a MWC K member would work. They are under $400 and since I already have their FAB9 rear, I want to stick with them.
Could call and ask them how it compares to something like the BMR kmember. I'm not sure what they do differently with the turbo versions of the kmembers over the standard ones. I remember from pictures when I looked the BMR and PA Racing one looked near identical in their basic design so I took the gamble with it since I already had it.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Very nice write-up! Of course bummed we couldn't get you into our kits, however I am still very happy to still be part of the build, thanks!

The BMR and PA Racing K-members appear to be nearly interchangeable. Our Kits fit with both, I of course cannot confirm on this kit but having used both many times they appear to be nearly identical.

Enjoy the new boost, I am sure you will love it and anything else you may need be sure to ask and we would be more than happy to assist!

Jon

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 03-13-2016, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Figured I would throw in an update, been meaning to for a while.

Last summer I finally upgraded the fuel system to a Squash double pump setup. Is a pretty slick setup and doesn't look hacked together at all. Plugged into factory fuel line without issue. Set the fuel pressure cranked it on and adjusted the tune and doesn't miss a beat.

I also installed an Eboost2 last year, and like the fuel system it's pretty slick. Kind of hard to get started with setting it up but when it is, it gives a lot of info and makes a pretty noticeable difference with helping spool. The only drawback is I think either the way the WG is setup or the cheap quality of the ON3 WG, I get a little bit of boost creep. It's more noticeable when I open the cutout of course and am in a higher gear.

About this time I got a little crazy and was coerced by my buddy to do a LSA on my G8. He had half the spare parts left over from his V and all I really needed was the blower and the pulley setup. I bit the bullet and figured for $1800ish how could I not go supercharge the car. Threw it together and with it running out of fuel (118% idc) it put down 512 rwhp. Wife and I snapped some pics of the cars with the kids then decided, lets take the kids home and go to our drag racing spot and see how the cars stack up.

Don't laugh too much at my crappy shifting, still on stock 10 bolt and T56.

Needless to say, she whooped me good and I wasn't expecting it, and neither was she. Later I looked at the tune and found out I had 11 degrees of timing commanded and rich AFR for a heat wave during the summer when I let my buddy borrow the car and never turned it back to the normal settings.

This last weekend I upgraded the torque arm because I think with it being lowered it might have thrown off the DS angle because it felt like I got a good bounce going as I went up in speed. Threw that in last night at my buddies new shop and tweaked the exhaust so I have a little more clearance. Then of course he throws out "Hey, lets put the car on my new dyno and see how the numbers compare to the old one!" Figure sure why not.

Just for giggles I did the first pull on WG spring pressure, I think right around 5 psi and put down 480/540. The last dyno I want to say it was right in the low 500's so the difference is consistent with what we saw on my buddies V doing a comparo between the dynos just days apart. Then of course I'm told "don't be a wuss, turn up the damn boost!" so I cranked it to my highest setting for 13 pounds I had setup.

With the cutout closed and 11 pounds and 14 degrees of timing it put down 615/650 with the cutout closed. Last dyno I think it did the 621/599 with pretty similar settings if I recall so again, not too far off I suppose from the other rollers. This was even with it creeping into the bottom 9's at the end of the run. Then I'm told open the cutout and add two degrees, see if we can touch 700.

Open the cutout knowing I will get some boost creep, add the timing and hope I don't scatter the bottom end of a 180k mile stock bottom end. Make a pull and do 680/708 with the fuel pegging my wideband at 9.0 and my IDC hitting 80%. I go and lean it out to my upper 10's for the next pull and do 710/680. I got a blip of knock right around 4700 RPM that carried through the rest of the pull so there is a little more in at probably at this point with playing with the AFR to get it dialed in where it's happy and maybe even fudging with the timing a bit. I think the boost crept up to the 15.5 psi range at the peak of the run.

All and all not too bad of a night of playing around. With it leaned out I was sitting at 62% idc on the last pull so pretty sure I have room left to grow in the fuel setup to push it to 800 eventually. If the bottom end lets loose I figure I can do a 5.3 from the wrecking yard until I have the cash to fund a decent motor. Buddy did tell me last night, "you scatter on the dyno, we push it over on the lift and I have your pick of LQ4's int he back you can have, we can swap it all tonight and make more pulls in the morning!"

My camera on my phone is wacky and I can't snap any pics for some reason so will have to get some pics from him of the pulls and the other goodies for the car. Crazy how hard it pulls going from 5 psi to the 11psi setting, can definitely feel the rear of the car sink like it is laying grooves in the road.

Guess now it's time for a rematch with the wife and the G8. I finally did a fuel pump on it (Vaproworx controller with V pump, slick system) and on the same dyno as the TA it did 540. Have a pulley to go on it but will see how the two cars do against each other before sticking that on.

Up next, hopefully get a built rear and look at doing a upgrade to the trans also. The auto is tempting so I can turn out some respectable times at the track but the M6 is damn fun. With having the blower on the G8 it's almost the drag strip toy, and the family hauler.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

Awesome build, I can't wait to get mine going. I have the same power level goal as you to start. About 600rwhp and go from there
Old 04-21-2016, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love that your on a stock bottom end! I boosted my stock bottom end last year and it ran great at ~110k miles but ended up selling the kit... now im missing it like crazy and ready to throw another kit on the same stock bottom end at 117k miles lol hope i have the same luck as you
Old 04-28-2016, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey man quick question what alternator relocation kit did you get then one that's in the kit?
Old 04-28-2016, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you have any fitment issues using the Pa racing K member?
Old 04-28-2016, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Used the alternator relocation that is in the kit, running the larger truck alternator also. It's close to the oil fill cap but can still take it off to fill when doing oil changes.

PA racing K member looks like it is the same as the BMR. Would have probably snagged a BMR had I not gotten the PA already.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

So you had no fitment issues when installing the turbo kit with the pa k member?
Old 04-29-2016, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No fitment issues at all, all clear of the kmember with no problem at all.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 498 Likes on 385 Posts

I love it! You were a big help when I was building my kit and answered a lot of my questions so thank you for that. The On3 setup looks like a nice piece and you get to keep the sway bar which is nice. I haven't dyno'd mine yet but I did have it at the track and trapped almost 121 and figure close to if not over 3,900 lbs and I'm still on my base tune. I'm hoping with a dialed tune and 7 ish pounds to be closer to 600rwhp. Is the 7575 the same size as the 7868 physically? I wouldn't mind the larger turbine to free up some back pressure and probably make a little more power.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I am running the same turbo on my build with the Huron Speed V2 AC kit. I cannot wait to get it up and running. Awesome numbers and thanks for the write up.

Quick Reply: My first turbo build - 01 WS6 with On3 A/C kit and Turbonetics 7575 **VERYLONG READ**