Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

HELP 4.8 Bonneville motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 4.8 for a D class engine. Sounds familiar. I have also been discussing a similar build, with a few changes. My thoughts involved using the 4.8 block and crank, along with some stout rods and pistons, possibly aluminum. Topped with a heavily worked set of 241s. However, my build would utilize a mag, and mechanical fuel injection. The small bore, while limiting cylinder head options and partially shrouding valves, would lend itself nicely to control of flame propagation across the crown. The biggest difference, besides being naturally aspirated, is that I would run mine on at least 90% Nitro.

Carry on, I think you are onto something, and I know I will be watching to see how it turns out.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

need some strong pistons and rods for nitro

what are you thinking of running?

wiseco and diamond seem to be a few manufacturers

I'm looking for high strength turbo pistons for the following

stock 4.8 crank

and 4.0 stroke

ideally, I'd like to make power with the stock crank but have concerns of it holding up at 1000 (although many do)

thanks, and good luck with your build, sounds really cool. tuning nitro to live that long will be a big challenge

why not go alchy ?
Old 03-22-2015, 01:03 PM
Teching In

update:
WCCH is doing a set of 799 castings they are putting their 243 package on them with SS intakes and Inconel exhausts and upgraded springs.

I have a crank being de-stroked to hopefully 2.98 and I will be running Eagle 6.460HJ rods.
I have an early 6.0 block that is being sonic tested to see how much I can bore and still leave me good thick walls. I am looking for 303 +- 2 ci displacement for the D class upper limit of a 305.99 ci eng

I will use the ARP 11 mm HD head studs that are their 625 material --should torque to 95-100--was told by several not to go over 100 on alum castings.

Kadres Kranks in Tempe should finish my crank this month .

I am working with Tuf-Enuf for the machine work Tim is Prop. Trevor is the tech. One races BBC in boats and the other BBFs--quiet a pair!!!!

I am using a "BOAT shop" because the things that Boat engines have to live with is much closer to B'Ville than another racing I have found.

Quick Reply: HELP 4.8 Bonneville motor