Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

67' Chevelle back halved, Caged, painted, It's hot side Fab Time, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 67' Chevelle back halved, Caged, painted, It's hot side Fab Time, Help!

I bought this car 5 years ago because it was already back-halved and caged. I was told it "just needed a paint job"...
But of coarse after grinding the cracking bondo out and finding all the rust, I had to weld in new 1/4 panels on both sides as well as replace other body panels.

Anyone who has owned a 4th Gen will get a laugh out of the first (just to get it running) air cleaner set up.. It's F Body inspired! Lol

That is a 5" hole for the DP but I might move it if I need to..

As you can see there is lots of room for the hot side..

I am not going to run inner fenders and I have a 4" cowl hood

Here is a pic of the cam card

The Turbo is a S-88 from Jose at Forced Induction
I bought it used on here about 3 years ago..

The motor is a 6.0L block that I originally built to handle N2O

So it has forged Pistons with the gaps opened a little.
With the 317 heads and LS9 gaskets it is right around 10:1 which should be good on Corn...
It also has ARP studs throughout the engine and H beam rods so its time to weld up a hot side and double the HP....at least...Lol

I have a set of truck manifolds that I already cut the 3 Bolt flanges off and bought the V bands for...

*** I may need to get a different type of manifold for the drives side as I left the Alt down low and I have a stearing box to get around...

I have a TH400 with a brake that I bought from PTC along with a Dusty Bradford built boost converter

I did the fuel system this spring it is a Holley 12-1800

with -10 Fragola PTFE front to rear, with a big ol fuel lab reg. hanging off the drivers side rail.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

I've seen people flip the truck manifolds upside down in the Chevelles. Probably what you need to do as well as my self if I don't get a set of headers.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

I think that is what i will have to do for the first build...
I do have a 2nd gen camaro front clip though so it's not "Chevelle" at the A arms and stearing box
I will probably wait and get headers for the next build. Lol
I just got all the 2.25" U bends in mild from Columbia as well as some 2" for the gates

I bought 2 JGS 50mm gates from Little Jon (which he said was overkill) but I want to be able to control the boost with ease on the street since my budy that will help me tune lives a few hours away, and won't be watching the tune every day.

I will yank the N/A headers off tomorrow and try to get some pics with the truck manifolds posted...
Old 10-01-2014, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Few more pics

Here is a pic with the 16" wide M/T street radials ...but they wouldn't even hook NA so I have some 315 ET streets on now

Old 10-01-2014, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

careful with that coating on the turbo housing look like its chipping away on the inside.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:56 AM
Launching!

Looks great. Where in Washington/Oregon are you? Whose tuning it and on what ems? Now that you have the truck manifolds cut. I would play around with flipping them and also going from side to side. You have lots of room in that engine bay to play. My nova has the stock front clip so it's gonna be tight for sure. You could always hit up Adam at Columbia River mand. Bends and get some weld els and make your own manifolds too. They have lots of b stock stuff they sell for dirt.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks nice. What trans are you running?

In for more.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

I live in the Tri-Cities and my friend Jason that goes by nitroused383 on here..will be doing the tuning.. He lives in Spokane so I end up going up there a lot too and running the car at airway heights.
Right now I have HP tuners Pro so we will probably start with that but when I have the money next spring I will definitely be stepping up to the Holley EFI
That's cool you have a contact at Columbia river mandrel
Old 10-02-2014, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=White.Lightning;18456548]Looks nice. What trans are you running?

TH400 with a brake and a PTC boost converter...built by Dusty Bradford
Old 10-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by adrynalinjunkie
That's cool you have a contact at Columbia river mandrel

Adam Is the owner. Hes been on a forum ive been on since 2002. He was on our forum since before he started his business. If you call him and say you want the RealHomeMadeTurbo discount he will knock a little off and give you a better shipping price since your local. All of his couplers he sells are very nice too.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TX RED
careful with that coating on the turbo housing look like its chipping away on the inside.
That's a good catch. I will take the cold housing off tonight and inspect it. I wonder if I could just have that powder coating sand blasted off? Or would that possibly damage the housing?

I did speak with Jose' at FI and he assured me he had just rebuilt this unit 2 months before I purchased it from the guy I bought it from on here.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

That car is awesome!
Old 10-02-2014, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

That's a good catch. I will take the cold housing off tonight and inspect it. I wonder if I could just have that powder coating sand blasted off? Or would that possibly damage the housing?

I did speak with Jose' at FI and he assured me he had just rebuilt this unit 2 months before I purchased it from the guy I bought it from on here.
sand blast might be an option but I would do a chemical strip
Old 10-03-2014, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TX RED
sand blast might be an option but I would do a chemical strip
Good thing I checked!
What the hell were they thinking? I called FI and they said I could just put it in a glass bead cabinet, but I am calling around about a chemical strip.

Does anybody know if that center ring that my thumb is on in the first pic is removable?

Old 10-03-2014, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

I played around with the Truck manifold's last night...
The drivers side will have to be up and forward as you can see in the pic below, my stearing box is a big blockade. Plus I want to leave the Alt down low...

Looks like I may be cutting the J bars out tonight! ... as much as I would hate to, this Turbo is just too damn big...Lol

Looks like a may need a new Radiator with both connections on the Passenger side, anybody have any recommendations?

I would like one that is 19" tall or shorter and width would be wide open... I want something decent quality that doesn't weigh any more than need be...

It looks like the truck coils will have to go below on the frame rail.. anyone know of a bracket to mount them to the frame with???

Last edited by adrynalinjunkie; 10-18-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

Well I found a local guy that powder coats car parts as a side job.. He has a chemical stripping tank and he said he would strip the old powder coating off my compressor housing (specifically the inside of the housing) FOR FREE!

I told him if he was going to be that way about it he might as well re-coat the OUTSIDE of the housing the correct way with some bright orange with some gold pearl !
He charged $50 for everything

He used clear powder coat over the top and it looks sweet!

The inside of the housing is spotless now
Old 10-18-2014, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

^^Awesome! Wish I could find someone around here like that
Old 10-18-2014, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

Off topic though, what did you use to paint the cage? Specifically the down bar in the engine bay
Old 10-18-2014, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

I painted the engine bay and the J bars in the engine compartment House of Kolor "sparkly black pearl" because that's what the engine hood and Deck lid are...I love house of kolor for both the quality and the low price!
Old 10-19-2014, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

I painted the engine bay and the J bars in the engine compartment House of Kolor "sparkly black pearl" because that's what the engine hood and Deck lid are...I love house of kolor for both the quality and the low price!
Nice work! Do you have a paint booth or something?

Quick Reply: 67' Chevelle back halved, Caged, painted, It's hot side Fab Time, Help!