Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LSX Subaru WRX S476r/Stock48 Cam/Dominator/E85 Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by oscs
It would be a shame to build a car this unique and throw an automatic transmission in it.
i agree with this! keep it a 6 speed
Old 10-17-2014, 08:27 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

What's trans? T56 was made to be in there = nuff said

This is going to be awesome.
Lookin forward to your updates
Old 10-17-2014, 11:27 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

4l80e will put down the power and not break
Old 10-17-2014, 11:40 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by denmah
4l80e will put down the power and not break
I'll never fully agree with this. I don't care how much faster you can be with an automatic. A 6spd can be built to hold all the power he will throw at it and be way more fun to drive. I'm biased though and would never put an auto in a car unless I was getting groceries or chasing time slips.

Last edited by oscs; 10-17-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the car washed up and ready for the swap.

Here's a few photos of the 350z rear diff and axles.

The transmission decision is a tough one no doubt about it. I am really struggling to decide. Here are the standout points for each to me.

T56 Magnum

1) Fun, manual shifting
2) Already fits
3) Will keep the wife happy
4) Something violent about manual that's awesome, but hard on the car
5) Spendy $$
6) Slower than auto

4L80e

1) Strong
2) Will put less stress on other parts of the car
3) Faster than manual
4) Can be set up cheaper
5) Have to cut and weld the tunnel
6) Possibly not as fun on the street

I would really like to run in the 8's. Would running 8.9's be an obtainable goal on a t56 magnum with a 3000lb car? Without worrying about breaking it in a short amount of time? Also I do not want to spend any more than the t56 magnum costs, when you add a clutch and everything that is about the max. I do really like the looks of the taller gearing of the one magnum. A buddy of mine said the t56 shifts like a dump truck that scared me a bit, is this true? I figured he was just trying to be an ***?

I really like the idea of being able to pick up a cheap JY 4L80e, hit it sloppy mechanics style and get the car rolling on the cheap. I can always upgrade it later from there once its rolling. One thing I am unsure about auto wise is the converter, I have never set up a converter and don't want to have to pull it out of the car a bunch of times to get it set up/spec'd correctly. I would like to try an auto out though, my one buddy said "Auto is king, its easy to go fast with them, real fast.". That has sort of intrigued me. I really like how auto doesn't fall out of boost between shifts like a manual does.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really you can just order a good brand converter and more than likely be happy with it right out of the box.

I called circle d for my th400 verter and just said I have a 3700# car with a small turbo ls1 looking for a tight street driven only 3500 or so stall. He delivered exactly that, I can foot brake 3000-3200 and get on the 2 step no problem, any higher and it wants to push through the brakes. That is mainly my car, if I had a better brake setup or a vacuum pump for staging on my booster I could get it much higher. Im 2nd I can foot brake 4k rpm and a lot more boost.

Taking off it is exactly what I asked for, from 800-3400rpm ish it has that big stall feel like when you give it more throttle it will jump from 2k to 3k rpm but the car won't really move any faster. Soon as you hit 3400-3500rpm the car really starts to move good. Almost like V-tak just kicked in accept not gay AF.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:57 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TDagen
Got the car washed up and ready for the swap. Here's a few photos of the 350z rear diff and axles. The transmission decision is a tough one no doubt about it. I am really struggling to decide. the standout points for each to me. T56 Magnum 1) Fun, manual shifting 2) Already fits 3) Will keep the wife happy 4) Something violent about manual that's awesome, but hard on the car 5) Spendy $$ 6) Slower than auto 4L80e 1) Strong 2) Will put less stress on other parts of the car 3) Faster than manual 4) Can be set up cheaper 5) Have to cut and weld the tunnel 6) Possibly not as fun on the street I would really like to run in the 8's. Would running 8.9's be an obtainable goal on a t56 magnum with a 3000lb car? Without worrying about breaking it in a short amount of time? Also I do not want to spend any more than the t56 magnum costs, when you add a clutch and everything that is about the max. I do really like the looks of the taller gearing of the one magnum. A buddy of mine said the t56 shifts like a dump truck that scared me a bit, is this true? I figured he was just trying to be an ***? I really like the idea of being able to pick up a cheap JY 4L80e, hit it sloppy mechanics style and get the car rolling on the cheap. I can always upgrade it later from there once its rolling. One thing I am unsure about auto wise is the converter, I have never set up a converter and don't want to have to pull it out of the car a bunch of times to get it set up/spec'd correctly. I would like to try an auto out though, my one buddy said "Auto is king, its easy to go fast with them, real fast.". That has sort of intrigued me. I really like how auto doesn't fall out of boost between shifts like a manual does.
If a time slip is what you are after than the 4L80 is your ticket. Running 8's with a T56 is less than easy. To my knowledge and there are only a few guys doing it and NO the magnum does not shift like a dump truck, quite the opposite.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 95bowtie
Really you can just order a good brand converter and more than likely be happy with it right out of the box.

I called circle d for my th400 verter and just said I have a 3700# car with a small turbo ls1 looking for a tight street driven only 3500 or so stall. He delivered exactly that, I can foot brake 3000-3200 and get on the 2 step no problem, any higher and it wants to push through the brakes. That is mainly my car, if I had a better brake setup or a vacuum pump for staging on my booster I could get it much higher. Im 2nd I can foot brake 4k rpm and a lot more boost.

Taking off it is exactly what I asked for, from 800-3400rpm ish it has that big stall feel like when you give it more throttle it will jump from 2k to 3k rpm but the car won't really move any faster. Soon as you hit 3400-3500rpm the car really starts to move good. Almost like V-tak just kicked in accept not gay AF.
Good to know. I have never driven a stalled auto. How is it driving around under 3400rpm? Does the "big stall feel" make it kind of feel like a slightly slipping clutch in a manual or something? If I do go auto, I would invest in a quality converter for sure. I was thinking a 9.5" PTC because I have heard alot of good stuff about them around here and see so many fast cars running them, but stock48 recommended I pick up a PY3400, so that is also a main contender.

I want to be able to footbrake the car. That is one of the main reasons I would like an auto in this car, I have heard it takes a ton of shock/abuse off the driveline parts because it loads up the power.

Originally Posted by oscs
If a time slip is what you are after than the 4L80 is your ticket. Running 8's with a T56 is less than easy. To my knowledge and there are only a few guys doing it and NO the magnum does not shift like a dump truck, quite the opposite.
Not only a time slip though, this car will be used for fun/toy out on the street more than anything. The car had a 9.9 pass in it with the subaru 6 speed and the setup it previously had, and I want to make it quite a bit faster than before, that is where the 8.9's comes from

Do you think the magnum is a good choice and would take the abuse well? I think with the vehicle being around 3000# that should make it a little easier on the trans. I am going to have to try and dig up the weights of the guys that have dipped into the 8's with a 6mt. I think running 8's in general is less than easy, I am just hoping with the low vehicle weight and with the right motor/turbo combo it can be done. Something about not many people doing it makes me want to try for some reason. I don't want to break a bunch of driveline parts though, I really want to stick to the KIS mentality on this build.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:46 PM
8 Second Club

I think a face plated trans is what you want. I'm not sure if anyone offers a FP magnum yet. I know there are plenty T56's out there though. There is a member on here who Recently broke the GM 6spd record. I think his name is blue99fbody. He posts in the manual tranny section a lot and could shed more light on going really fast with a 6spd.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

After a lot of research and thought this weekend it looks like I will be running a 4L80e. It seems to fit better with the builds Keep It Simple mentality. The auto will also help keep the stress levels down on drivetrain components, and that is a major plus in my book.

The 6 speed will be too much $ to set up correctly and I also think driving a faceplated/dogbox around on the streets would probably get old after a few weeks. I would hate to pick up the magnum and trash the syncros trying to shift it fast with all the power. After looking thru blue99fbody's build and threads, 8's on the 6 speed looks extremely difficult. IMO 8's, with a 6 speed, and in a street car would almost be miraculous.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:02 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TDagen
After a lot of research and thought this weekend it looks like I will be running a 4L80e. It seems to fit better with the builds Keep It Simple mentality. The auto will also help keep the stress levels down on drivetrain components, and that is a major plus in my book. The 6 speed will be too much $ to set up correctly and I also think driving a faceplated/dogbox around on the streets would probably get old after a few weeks. I would hate to pick up the magnum and trash the syncros trying to shift it fast with all the power. After looking thru blue99fbody's build and threads, 8's on the 6 speed looks extremely difficult. IMO 8's, with a 6 speed, and in a street car would almost be miraculous.
yeah man 8's and 6spd don't mix well. It sounds like you know what you want and the 4l80e is right choice for your route. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2014, 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Yep - 4L80E - set it and forget it. Wise choice.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Looks like this one will be finished, unlike every other LSX swapped wrx lol good work so far!! I know what it's like having a Subaru glad I made the switch haha!!
Old 10-20-2014, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Wow! Love everything this thread has to offer. My bestfriend drives a 03 Subaru WRX that only makes 270awhp and he thinks it's the fastest thing in the world. Yet he still gets yanked by stock 5 gens and modded Cobalt SSs lmao. I always joke with him about how it's a turd and how he should LS swap it but he's more into aesthetics. This thread just gives me even more reason to rub it in his face and joke some more haha. I personally like the WRX/STi and the potential they have though, awesome cars once built/done correctly.

But one with an LS based V8 turbo swap is definitely a top contender in my books. That is awesome man! Can't wait to see the end results of this and how much feelings you hurt on the road and with the die hard subaru crowd hahaha.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking forward to seeing this get finished up too. Wish you'd go with the manual, but it will.still be pretty awesome.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Updates on this thing?
Old 02-09-2015, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

To run 8's that thing is going to have to hook pretty darn hard. Looks like your ditching the AWD setup, what size stickies do you think you can squeeze back there?
Old 05-20-2016, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

any news about the project?

Quick Reply: LSX Subaru WRX S476r/Stock48 Cam/Dominator/E85 Build