Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

~~~~~~~ RatCityRex's Turbo LQ4 66 Chevy II NOVA~~~~~~~

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so jeff at injectornation hooked me up with some in900cc injectors at a crazy price. They showed up and look great, also ordered a set of summit racing rocker arm trunions. Looks like they will be here tomorrow.

For now this is all I have
Old 10-28-2014, 05:00 PM
Launching!

So what's your guys thoughts on one of the on3 76mm turbos with a .81ar exhaust housings?
Old 10-28-2014, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Yep, broken easy out inside that bolt that's broke off inside the head....... might end up pulling the head and taking it to a machine shop. tried drilling it for a second and figured i give up tonight and try drilling it in the morning :

Old 10-29-2014, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

nova!

seen a clean 64 nova today, thought of chad...wondered to the other side of the shop seen a super clean tt 66 nova (gen1 sbc) thought of you... thats all, continue.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by turbohf
nova!

seen a clean 64 nova today, thought of chad...wondered to the other side of the shop seen a super clean tt 66 nova (gen1 sbc) thought of you... thats all, continue.

Lol thanks dustin.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:47 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Put a nut over it and mig weld the nut to whats left of the bolt. Extract with a wrench, works really well...

Old 10-29-2014, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

That sucks.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:23 PM
Launching!

So I tried like hell to get this broken easy out bit out of the head. First I tried just welding a nut on. Let it cool off and then tried working it back and forth. Just comes off and I'm left with the bit still stuck. So I tried welding on the end of the bit to build it up so I could then weld a big nut on it to really get some heat into it. Just twist off......****!!! Looks like I'll be pulling the head and taking it to a machine shop.

Well on a good note, I traded in my 40cf tank for my welder in and upgraded to a 125cf tank. Dude behind the counter hooked it up huge. Only charged me $97 out the door with the tank filled and everything. And now that I have the correct tip and wire this welder does a pretty good job.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:04 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It needs to be tig welded.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Launching!

I wish I had a tig. It's on my list of things to buy. I have my 220v mig and my miller 375xtream plasma and my oxy/accetiling with all my torches. Next is a tig.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:35 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Man that's nutty! Did you have the speed turned down and the heat all the way up? Looks like you weren't getting any penetration on the bolt. I always used a mig without issue.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:47 AM
Launching!

I did. I tried a few different settings. But ended up with wire speed set to 3.5-4/10 an the voltage on hi.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Got it out.......
I figured if I could get the broken bit out I could then get the broken bolt out. Well first I welded a washer to the broken bit, then while that was still cherry hot I welded a long bolt to it. It then attached another bolt to the end of the bolt with a nut and made a makeshift slide hammer with a brake flaring holder. And then i yarded on that bitch about 20 times and got it pulled out. I then welded a nut on the broke off bolt in the head and slowly worked it back and forth once it wasn't red anymore. Took about 5 min just working a little back and forth until it came out. I think I'll have to run a thread chaser down it just to make sure the threads are ok but they look fine.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:44 PM
TECH Regular

A couple of bits of advise from someone experienced in quick spooling big power, 1st &2nd gen novas and turbo engines.

Any substantial boost below 3500-4000 rpm will bend rods. Accelerating the rotating assembly through high cylinder pressure is extremely hard on the short block. Do your self a favor and don't buy a Chinese turbo. There are plenty of bargain turbos from Borg, Turbonetics, Master Power/magnum, etc... Lastly buy an aftermarket front suspension there are deals as good a $2000ish, it will drive better and free up a LOT of space. Although the mustang II shocks are too short, you can cut the upper shock bucket out and run a longer coil over or stick with a separate shock/spring vs mustang II coilover.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Launching!

What is a substantial amount of boost?
I find it hard to believe that running 12lbs is gonna bend a rod if I'm below 4k. That's actually a pretty dumb statement.

I would love to run a bw turbo and a aftermarket font end. But hell it's just not in my budget. Lots of people have had great success with china turbos. This car is meant to be driven. If I was to wait around to afford to buy the things you say I would never get it boosted or driving. The stock suspention is actually a pretty nice. With some minor upgrade it can be meant to handle pretty well.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Little more progress.
Got the garage pretty much clean and organized, then I got most all the trunions pushed out of the rockers with my bench vice and some sockets. Got 1 more to do and then they go into the the purple power driveway cleaner for a quick soak. Then it's assembly time for them. I got a set of summit brand rocker arm trunions. I'm on a Jewish budget so $40 less sounds good to me. It's a junkyard motor so I'll stay with the junkyard budget.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Well trunions are done. Good thing I have a NICE pair of snap ring pliers, man those ******* summit snap rings are no joke. I can tell you right now that those mother ******* won't be breaking like the comp cam ones do. And they were about $36 less. Pretty easy to put together. Longest part of the whole process was cleaning the rockers once I stripped them down.

Now after I was done with them I gave them a good oil bath and slapped them in a ziplock for tomorrow. Gonna clean the pushrods and bolts and hopefully get all of the top end put together and get the valve covers on.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:19 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Nice job on the bolt removal.

One thing I did to my rockers was to polish the valve tip end with 1200 grit followed by the buffing wheel. Maybe a waste of time, but it wasn't much effort.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I used the summit trunions also & had to take a little metal off the mounting
bolt so they fit the trunion seat. I just spun them on the bench grinder for a few seconds.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Nice job on the bolt removal.

One thing I did to my rockers was to polish the valve tip end with 1200 grit followed by the buffing wheel. Maybe a waste of time, but it wasn't much effort.
I'll remember that for next time. Don't care enough this time...lol My next motor that I build will probably be a totally different build and not anything close to a junkyard build.

Originally Posted by spray280
I used the summit trunions also & had to take a little metal off the mounting
bolt so they fit the trunion seat. I just spun them on the bench grinder for a few seconds.
The first thing I did when I got the trunions from summit was check the fitment of the bolts in the trunions. They all fit in mine just fine. Had 1 bolt that had just a touch of drag when I tested the bolt in it. Other than that 1 trunion they all fit great.

Quick Reply: ~~~~~~~ RatCityRex's Turbo LQ4 66 Chevy II NOVA~~~~~~~