Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any benefit to opening up the stock rings on a JY build?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Default Any benefit to opening up the stock rings on a JY build?

I'm sure this has probably been asked before but I didn't know for sure how to search for it. I'm considering a JY turbo swap in my 3rd gen, 4.8 or 5.3. I know that #7 always seem to go south first. Would there be any benefit to replacing the stock rings with better rings or replacing them with stock rings and opening up the gap?

The reason I ask is something like this has a habit of snow balling out of control. I don't want to replace the rods/pistons or rod bolts.

Is there more to it than taking the bottom end apart, knocking the glaze off the cylinders and replacing the rings/bearings?

Hopefully demah will post in here with his experiences.

Thanks.

Jason
Old 12-25-2014, 02:44 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

The higher the mileage the better and it seems you don't need to worry about it. Over 150k miles and seems some regret opening the engine to check ring gaps.

I'm going to be just running the hell out of whatever high meage engine I end up with, throw 20 pounds or so at it and let it eat.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has been discussed and I believe denmah will say just run it like it is, I gapped mine cause I had the time and wanted to clean up the cylinder walls since it was rusted! I have a spare 5.3 that is in better condition and plan on running the way it came out once the one that's in the car decides to let go .
Old 12-25-2014, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad I opened mine up. I planned on just opening up to check gaps and running it but found some stuff I didn't like so I ended up freshening up the motor with bearings/rings and a good cleaning.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Thanks for replies. All I hear from my mustang friends is how all these high horsepower JY builds are bullshit and everyone is lying about what's done to the engine. I work at a performance shop now with a killer dyno so I want to do a build over the winter. I'm not going to use any Chinese parts because I don't want our shop to get the reputation that we install cheap/junk parts. I'm not saying all parts like that are junk I just don't want it to reflect poorly on the shop if that makes sense.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:32 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Thanks for replies. All I hear from my mustang friends is how all these high horsepower JY builds are bullshit and everyone is lying about what's done to the engine. I work at a performance shop now with a killer dyno so I want to do a build over the winter. I'm not going to use any Chinese parts because I don't want our shop to get the reputation that we install cheap/junk parts. I'm not saying all parts like that are junk I just don't want it to reflect poorly on the shop if that makes sense.
Just check them... usually need to clean the grime out of them anyway. Every engine I've torn down had caked on carbon build up in the ring lands.

.005 X bore is plenty on the top ring... .019ish and up on the small bore stuff is fine IMO. I've seen a few as small as .016ish, but it is rare. I've yet to see an overly tight second ring.

Typical crusty LS piston. I use an old ring filed down sharp to clean out behind the rings.

Quick Reply: Any benefit to opening up the stock rings on a JY build?