Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ideas to help keep car cool? High per water pump? Rad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by willizm
Do you have a blanket on your turbo? It's right there on the backside of the rad.
Yes I do have a turbo blanket on there. In the pic I think I was just trying to show off the turbo!

Originally Posted by CO_BlackHawk
You could also try a 80/20 water to antifreeze mix. Water exchanges heat better than antifreeze.
Thanks for the idea. I guess when It warms up and stops getting down to freezing I could flush it and do 80/20, but kind of a pain.

Originally Posted by 11SECSS
I noticed that also , make sure your fans are wired up the right way seen a lot of people wire them up backwards.
I know the derale is wired correctly because I wired it backwards the first time lol. Now here is a stupid question. I am using the stock fan on the lower driver side of the radiator. So basicly just installed it on the other side of the radiator. I reversed the wires so it would spin the opposite way that it did before. Should I have done that or should the wiring for stock fans be the same as it was before?
Old 01-24-2015, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Just to be sure, you don't have a pusher and a puller fan right? I wouldn't think so. Puller is way better. Also, make sure your tune is on mark. Too little timing at cruise and too lean at WOT leads to higher temps. F
Old 01-24-2015, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Just to be sure, you don't have a pusher and a puller fan right? I wouldn't think so. Puller is way better. Also, make sure your tune is on mark. Too little timing at cruise and too lean at WOT leads to higher temps. Find out the max timing you can run at light cruise and you'll be amazed at much cooler the car will run. Also, run the biggest fan you can fit in the car. You should see a pretty big temp difference (maybe 30-40 degrees) between the top and bottom of the radiator when the fan is on. Be patient, you'll figure it out.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

/make sure that stock fan is pushing the air and not pulling if its on the opposite side then originally or that could be your problem .
Old 01-24-2015, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How hot does it get at idle? Does it come down after you do the pulls to get it to 230?
Old 01-24-2015, 05:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=621363

Put a freeze plug behind the thermostat with a small hole in it like at the bottom of the first post. That forces all the water through the radiator and doesn't recirculate some of the water without going through the radiator. I did it on my car and it helped greatly.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracer5532
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=621363

Put a freeze plug behind the thermostat with a small hole in it like at the bottom of the first post. That forces all the water through the radiator and doesn't recirculate some of the water without going through the radiator. I did it on my car and it helped greatly.
I am not trying to thread jack or anything, but I am just wondering if that was okay to do without the heater core lines plugged? It looks like they all have those lines plugged. (I read almost the entire thread)
Old 01-25-2015, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f4rmost
I am not trying to thread jack or anything, but I am just wondering if that was okay to do without the heater core lines plugged? It looks like they all have those lines plugged. (I read almost the entire thread)
I was wondering the same thing. I have the 1/2" port pluged and the other will be going to a surge tank.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:54 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to know the same thing. I didn't know that the water pump recirculated hot water, if you could plug it that would have to help out. The only thing I worry about is if you install the plug, and the engine is cold will the pump have cavitation? Because the thermostat won't let it pump water, and neither will this plug.

Or is that what the 1/8" hole in the plug and thermostat is for? Once you have these you will be good to go, even running a heater core?
Old 01-27-2015, 06:28 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No you don't need to plug the heater core lines. All you want to do is not let the water circulate without going through the radiator. I'm still running my heater core lines. Without the plug behind the thermostat a lot of the water just circulates without going through the radiator.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

People have a misconception what a thermostat does. The thermostat degrees has nothing to do with how hot it will run. A thermostat is for when the engine is cold it waits till it gets up to 160 to open or 180. So the engine will actually warm up so you have heat. A bad thermostat will either stay open and the engine will never heat up when its cold out, or stay closed and overheat. If you are running at a temp over the thermostat, the thermostat has nothing to do with it unless it is faulty. If the thermostat is open whether it be a 160, 180, 195 and you are at 230. It is not the thermostat. Overheating is due to one of a few things. Insufficient air flow, Insufficient water flow. Poor conductor (radiator), or a mismatched system, being the cooling source (radiator) is much less area than the heating source (engine). Or A/F is really lean. Seeing the stock radiator is enough to cool the engine if you are creating more heat with your engine than stock you have an issue there. Tune.

Quick Reply: Ideas to help keep car cool? High per water pump? Rad?