Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How would these two turbos respond?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 04:08 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How would these two turbos respond?

I am curious how on3's 70mm turbo would compare to the 76mm since they both share the same turbine. It seems everyone runs the 76mm, but i would think this turbo would produce high back pressure because of how out of balance the size of turbine and compressor are. Plus with a larger compressor it would have to spool slower.

Am I crazy thinking that the 70mm turbo would be the better option when looking for quick spool, and great lower end power. It would just have to be spun much harder to make the boost/power of the larger 76mm.

Seems like the 76mm would run out of steam because back pressure gets to high. The 70mm would simply max out and not be able to push more air, but I would assume the exhaust pressure wouldn't be nearly as bad.

I am looking to build my wife a turbo 5.3 setup, so not after huge power. Simply want a very quick spooling setup, with great throttle response and power down low to be a fun street cruiser.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the 70mm is a good choice for what you just described. You can do 600whp with that turbo.

Quick Reply: How would these two turbos respond?