Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

JGS wastegate springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 04:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Default JGS wastegate springs

My 50 MM wastegate came with one extra spring-does anybody know what spring they install from JGS, and what the extra one is
While I had it on the lift, I noticed exhaust inside and can see on the shaft that it has opened
I have only seen 122 KPA on the log, and haven't been over 4900 RPM, which is around 3 psi of boost-I only have a line to the lower port, but might install a boost controller
Hopefully the extra spring is stronger
Old 03-22-2015, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wastegate spring info is posted right on their website.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Their website isn't accurate because it states they come with 3, but my 50mm also only came with 2 springs.

The one installed from the factory is the light spring (gave me 7-8 psi on gate only). I changed it out with the stiffer spring supplied and get 16-18 psi with my eboost sensitivity at 0. This should be the stiffest spring.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

If you have a spring in there that makes 8psi of boost, it might start cracking at 3-4psi, its not an on/off system. When i switched from a spring that made 10psi to a spring that made 17 I was surprised how much faster it spooled, just showed how early the gate was cracking.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:12 AM
TECH Veteran

I think I will change to the extra spring, at least I can mic. it and know if its
the med or thicker one
Good call on that valve creeping, didn't think about that
Old 03-23-2015, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

I contacted JGS, they said the extra spring that came with my wastegate was intended to be added to the ex spring
I pulled it apart, had a large red spring, so I added the extra spring
Really made it hard to reinstall the wastegate onto the manifold since there is a seat that has to get compressed so the v clamp will go on-I compressed the valve and wedged it open, then it was easy
I'll get see what boost I get now
Old 03-24-2015, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by forcd ind
I contacted JGS, they said the extra spring that came with my wastegate was intended to be added to the ex spring
I pulled it apart, had a large red spring, so I added the extra spring
Really made it hard to reinstall the wastegate onto the manifold since there is a seat that has to get compressed so the v clamp will go on-I compressed the valve and wedged it open, then it was easy
I'll get see what boost I get now
Interested to see how much boost you see on your combo. With both of the springs in, my 50mm jgs made 23 psi. But that was a 1.10 a/r T6 s475 on a 4.8.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Wow, I hope I don't see that much-having a conversation with a buddy of mine, it dawned on me that I had my boost line to the waste gate plumbed
just after the pipe out of the turbo, before the intercooler-that might have been causing some of the problems
I might switch the line to the intake, but I am going to but a safeguard in the computer in case boost gets crazy
Old 03-24-2015, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They make 3 large diameter outer springs and one small diameter inner spring. I tried the light and medium outer springs and got 7 and 9 psi respectively. The inner spring is really stiff and is to be added to the larger diameter outer springs when you're looking for a significant increase in boost. I have a feeling it's meant for the import guys running 30+ psi.

My JGS gate came with the light outer and stiff inner. The other two outer springs need to be ordered directly from them and the damn shipping costs as much as the spring.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:15 PM
TECH Veteran

I had a chance to take the car out today and test it with the inner spring installed
What a diff, with light throttle it now jumps up to around 160+ KPA, close
to 9 lbs boost-it def will go higher with full throttle and more RPM
I will do some light data logging this week, see where things are at
i'll have to look at the learn table, I would imagine it added some fuel
It was only seeing 122 KPA with just the light spring

Quick Reply: JGS wastegate springs