Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1 of 2 wastegates pulsing / fluttering

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 05:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 of 2 wastegates pulsing / fluttering

just got my car onto the road and having an issue with one of my wastegates. they are vented to atmosphere and one seems to be opening and closing rapidly giving a sort of flutter / exhaust leak kind of sound while the other side has the typical roar scream sound they should have. does this at any boost level from 3psi gate pressure up. the gates have no problem controlling boost at all. Anybody have any ideas on what my issue might be?

setup is: twin s366 turbos on a 402ci with log manifolds. turbosmart 45mm gates with 3 psi springs in fairly similar positions on each up pipe. ams 1000 controller with t fitting directly on solenoids and -3 lines to top of each gate.

the gates have different length pipes venting to atmosphere but i dont think this will be the issue.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

And how are you determining with certainty only 1 is doing this ?

And gate position will not be static, the opening will always be varying to maintain boost.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:11 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I understand gate position is not static. But 1 side sounds like a dirty exhaust leak the other side sounds like you would expect. A roar / open header sound. Can distinctly hear the difference between each side that's how I know it is only one
Old 04-03-2015, 06:14 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by S_M_I_D_D_Y
Yeah I understand gate position is not static. But 1 side sounds like a dirty exhaust leak the other side sounds like you would expect. A roar / open header sound. Can distinctly hear the difference between each side that's how I know it is only one
It is a dirty exhaust leak ! lol
Old 04-03-2015, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah. I know. It SHOULDNT sound the way it does though. If you can't help **** off outta here
Old 04-03-2015, 11:47 AM
9 Second Club

Well until you can provide factual data to show that one gate isnt working correctly...then kind of hard to help.

And any w/g venting to atmosphere IS a dirty exhaust leak. Some will sound good, some will sound crap, there are many variables.

Presumably you've tested the gates and know they actually work ?

Quick Reply: 1 of 2 wastegates pulsing / fluttering