Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LQ4 boost prepperation

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 07:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LQ4 boost prepperation

hows it going fellas, im starting a turbo LQ4 project and have some questions. This is not my first turbo project but it is my first LS project. Ive got some simple questions that im finding conflicting answers on that maybe you guys can clear up for me.

Ive got a 02 LQ4 with 140,000 miles with harness and ecu. Looking for above 650/650 on pump and meth on a BW s475 or possibly 480

My questions are (keeping budget in mind, not a daily driver)

1. Is there a cam i can drop in that is ideal? Like a goto cam that works well? Maybe a slight upgrade from a car cam but wont require a full aftermarket valve train? When you think of a junk yard build, cheap, what cam comes to mind?

2.If i were to do ARP rod bolts, are you guys taking the rods out and having them resized/checked or are we just pressing them and going?

3.Head gaskets- i see alot of people using alot of different gaskets, i assume for different thicknesses. Being on 93 pump (no E85 in CT) i need to keep it low. Maybe a brand suggestion

4.timing chain/oil pump- i see some guys using car stuff here, i assume thats more of a "good idea" rather then a necessity?

I have researched all of this, but you get 40 different answers on the same topic. There are guys making a million HP on stock rod bolts and then other guys that will toss a rod the first time they go above 6000rpm

Thank you all. Looking forward to making some powa
Old 06-15-2015, 07:05 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

1. No, there isn't really a "Go-to" cam. If there was, you would have already heard about it.

2. Some guys get lucky. Technically the rods need to be line-honed. Lots of guys get away without having them machined.

3. LS9 headgaskets are thick and 7 layer.

4. Oil pump depends on your pan. Deep truck pan, you could probably get away with a high volume pump. If not, don't do it. You might run your pan dry. As far as timing chain, that depends on valve springs. Stiffer springs put more stress on the chain. Stock springs or single beehives can usually do without.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great. I think i may just leave the stock bolts.

As far as the pan, im probably going to have to run a F body pan, so ill probably just use a OEM pump.

Got the motor out last night. Looks good, confirmed its a LQ4, so thats good, haha
Old 06-16-2015, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did stock 48 cam with matching valve train components, oil pump, timing chain, arp head studs, ls9 head gaskets in my lq4, hoping for the best lol

Quick Reply: LQ4 boost prepperation