Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

resonator causing STS TT not to spool?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default resonator causing STS TT not to spool?

Hey guys I need help, I have just installed a used STS TT kit on a 2003 Z06, the turbos arent building boost and general consensus on the internet is an exhaust leak or a bad wase gate. Both of them have been gone over multiple times, they are good to go. we are wondering if the Borla Resonator that we have on the car may be causing the reduced exhaust pressure resulting in the lack of boost. we have revved the car up to 4K RPM with no boost at all. other than the resonator and the turbo setup the car is stock.

thanks in advance for your help
Bill
Old 06-26-2015, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Post pics of setup from underneath. I cant see resonator being the issue.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

You say you "revved it up to 4k" please dont tell me you sat in your driveway and did that. If so, you really need to learn how turbos work. If you were driving, then sorry for insulting your intelligence
Old 06-26-2015, 07:53 PM
8 Second Club

You can stop the wheel with your finger on my car when it's not in gear...lol
It won't make boost without load

If you driven it up to 4k and it's not making any boost I'd think it's a more serious problem than a resonator in the exhaust
Old 06-28-2015, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Sadly yes we did just rev the car stationary to try and get something out of the turbos, No insult to my intelligence, I am out of my element with turbos, I see that someone posted that they need to have a load on them to function, I figured exhaust gas is exhaust gas...? I am used to superchargers, they make boost based on RMP. Here are the pics of the resonator, sorry it has been a busy couple of days. The turbos are at the shop getting checked out and I am just waiting to see if I need to put the mid-pipe back to stock.
Attached Thumbnails resonator causing STS TT not to spool?-dscf3202.jpg   resonator causing STS TT not to spool?-dscf3203.jpg  
Old 06-29-2015, 01:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes they need a load to make boost. Most cars dont even see positive pressure below 3 grand driving around, but that changes with each combo obviously. With your rear mount kit you wont see pressure untill later, but thats with a load obviously. Be careful if you dont have your tune right, stuff will break fast. Go drive the car around and it will make boost when you get into it. There is nothing wrong with your turbos
Old 06-29-2015, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info, the turbo tech is checking them out now and when we get them back we will drive the car to test for proper function

Quick Reply: resonator causing STS TT not to spool?