Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Preventing getting hot with the A/C on

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 497 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Rawr256
Haven't messed with it much. Sounds like yours was doing similar to what mine did, through traffic it would slowly heat and then I'm sure once it got close to boiling it just started climbing fast. One of the seals in the system is leaking so I lost my charge a few weeks after this and the weather was good enough for ttop weather so never messed with it much.

The other week I went for a drive with some friends and it was mid 90's, climbing a ski pass with some hard 4th and 5th pulls up the hills and in the corners temp never broke 190. Brother-in-laws stock Camaro hit 215 and he backed out of it when trying to keep up, granted he is on a stock thermo verses my 160 and was having to probably exert a bit more effort to try and stay with me with his bolt-ons, but shows that the fans do a decent job of keeping up.

I just plan to do like someone else mentioned and make up a new top line and make some space between the condenser and radiator. Components for doing it aren't too bad for price so if it doesn't work, then it at least gives me experience for the next project I suppose. The cars on their own have a hard time keeping cool because there isn't nearly as much air across the front as there is on some other cars. On the other side of the state there is typically 4 - 5 days during the year that it might get unbearable, but I will either manage or take one of the other cars if it doesn't work out on the hot days.
I'll have to check and see what stat I'm running too, I think it's a 180 and perhaps I'll need to pick up a 160. Are you running an oil cooler too Rawr? Does the condenser really get hot enough to affect the overall cooling?
So from what I'm reading here are some possible solutions?
Running Deionized Water w/ water wetter.
Running a 160 Stat
Mounting the fans directly to the radiator and relocating the condenser.
Anyone else wanna chime in?
Just saw on another post guys pulling the stat all together and blocking the bypass hole. Thoughts?

Last edited by The BallSS; 08-03-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Hey Rawr, so I took my Hand held programmer and checked my gauge accuracy and was pleasantly surprised how completely far off it really was! I was hangin about one needles width off of the 210* mark so I figured I was running around 200-205* maybe. Turns out I was only at 175*!! The factory gauge is way off and I don't really have a cooling problem, turns out a lot of other guys have found this to be true and that 02 F-Body gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Check your real temp with a handheld before you spend any money Rawr because you may not have a problem.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have my stock temp gauge and a aftermarket autometer temp gauge and my autometer temp gauge normally reads 180 degs while my stock gauges reads over 210. i've heard the stock gauge needle doesn't budge from 220 deg until the car temp is over 240deg
Old 08-05-2015, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CaliboyTA
i have my stock temp gauge and a aftermarket autometer temp gauge and my autometer temp gauge normally reads 180 degs while my stock gauges reads over 210. i've heard the stock gauge needle doesn't budge from 220 deg until the car temp is over 240deg
I'd have to agree at this point. If you divide the spaces evenly on the factory gauge 175*-180* should be a little less than half between the second mark and the 210 mark and that's not remotely the case lol. I'm thinking if your not up at or past the mark after 210 then your then your still within safe operating temperatures.

Quick Reply: Preventing getting hot with the A/C on