Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Question about heat wrap for a turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about heat wrap for a turbo...

So I have fixed almost all my turbo clearance issues, however there is still one I haven't figured out yet. There are metal (I think factory aluminum) coolant lines on the passenger side of the engine bay that my passenger side primary is touching. I plan on heat wrapping the primaries with titanium lava heat wrap (rated at 3000 degrees Fahrenheit), but I still don't like that it hits the unprotected coolant line. I don't want to go through the PITA of moving and refabricating the metal coolant line, so I had planned on shielding it instead.

My question is, which would be better? Using the titanium lava heat wrap (same wrap I used on the primaries) rated at 3000 degrees? Or should I use the standard high temperature Aluminized heat blanket rated at 2000 degrees instead? Numbers to numbers it is obvious, but I don't know enough about the difference in design to know if the heat blanket is more of a reflective material meant to block the temp more than the heat wrap would be or not.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkee
So I have fixed almost all my turbo clearance issues, however there is still one I haven't figured out yet. There are metal (I think factory aluminum) coolant lines on the passenger side of the engine bay that my passenger side primary is touching. I plan on heat wrapping the primaries with titanium lava heat wrap (rated at 3000 degrees Fahrenheit), but I still don't like that it hits the unprotected coolant line. I don't want to go through the PITA of moving and refabricating the metal coolant line, so I had planned on shielding it instead.

My question is, which would be better? Using the titanium lava heat wrap (same wrap I used on the primaries) rated at 3000 degrees? Or should I use the standard high temperature Aluminized heat blanket rated at 2000 degrees instead? Numbers to numbers it is obvious, but I don't know enough about the difference in design to know if the heat blanket is more of a reflective material meant to block the temp more than the heat wrap would be or not.
Are you talking about the lines that run to your heater core?
Old 07-03-2015, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
Are you talking about the lines that run to your heater core?
All the stuff I know about the car, and I don't even know (lol). I believe you are correct. They are the lines that run along side of the passenger side of the wheel well area inside the hood.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Those lines will be fine. Just wrap your manifolds and the hotside
Old 07-04-2015, 08:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
Those lines will be fine. Just wrap your manifolds and the hotside

Sweet. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Question about heat wrap for a turbo...