Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1987 Camaro Z28 Turbo 5.3L 4L80e

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rpaschall
What would I need to do a similar build on my 91 rs and keep ac? Is it possible? I'm very new to this so I apologize for all the questions. I'm learning a lot here though and really appreciate the input.
If you want to keep AC you are best off getting 4th gen accessories and notch the kmember like I did ( i notched mine for the manifolds). Then you would need to build manifolds or flip them UP which makes it a pain for spark plug wires. You would probably want to go with a smaller turbo (physical size) like an ON3 78mm with the 75mm turbine or something. I didnt even attempt to fit a downpipe with the AC but im sure you would be limited to 3" max.

Jay
Old 07-21-2015, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it is possible? I've been told a gt45 would be a good fit? Do you agree?
Old 07-21-2015, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Can I use my factory k member? Will I need to change my steering components? If you could list off what I would need that would be awesome man. Kind of my shopping list lol
Old 07-21-2015, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rpaschall
Can I use my factory k member? Will I need to change my steering components? If you could list off what I would need that would be awesome man. Kind of my shopping list lol
You will see in my first post with the picture of the engine bay painted where I notched the K-member. After words I welded a plate there as well.

It is possibly you will just have to get creative with the turbo placement. The GT45 is fairly large in physical size. If you place it in front of the motor then more than likely you will need to move that rad forward and run pusher fans. Or you could place it off into the passenger side battery tray. I warn you I did this with my very first build with a larger turbo, and making an oil return is a pita. Stock steering components are easy to work around as well. I cut my drivers side manifold back far enough that it doesnt hit. I had to delete the plastic cover though. I will probably end up picking up an astro steering shaft eventually.

I would make a list but there is just too many things. If you're dead set on the GT45, go to VS racing and get the Denmah kit. I have a more detailed thread on my build on thirdgen.org in the power adder section as well.

Jay
Old 07-23-2015, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jay_rich
I am using EFI live with a 99 LS1 PCM and I reflashed it for 2002 Operating system on a 3 bar map. I built the harness from scratch using a truck harness, then repinned the trans for the 4l80e. I flashed in a 2002 4l80e segment into my tune. So far so good. Shifts great. Very simple swap.

The Dash I built myself. The Maxigauge (center display) uses an external box much like dakota digital. So I ran an seperate sensor harness for that, then I was left with the Tach, fuel pressure, volts and fuel level. (fuel level, signals and highbeams I tapped into the stock cluster harness)

The Speedo is a GPS unit which makes life easier.

Jay

I'm really interested in doing a dash set up like yours. My GN has a Digital dash and I want to get rid of it and make my own. Who makes the GPS Speedo and where are you tapping your tach into on the LS motor?
Old 07-23-2015, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Streetracer09
I'm really interested in doing a dash set up like yours. My GN has a Digital dash and I want to get rid of it and make my own. Who makes the GPS Speedo and where are you tapping your tach into on the LS motor?
The gauges are Speedhut. its a pretty nice unit. nice to not have to wire anything to a VSS.

The Tach is getting signal off of the coil pack (driver side light blue I believe) then I just followed the instructions from speedhut. The reason I went to the coils was the output on this PCM is fried for tach signal.

Jay
Old 07-24-2015, 07:35 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Can you post a pic of the speedhut gauges installed Jay?
Old 07-25-2015, 07:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSZ
Can you post a pic of the speedhut gauges installed Jay?
Post number 3 and 4 has pics of them

Jay
Old 07-25-2015, 07:38 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Sorry man. I should have been looking closer.
They look good. Your car is really coming out nice.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

Well havnt got much time on the car this week. I did add an MSD 2 step, finally got a tiny air filter for the street as well

Jay
Old 02-24-2021, 10:57 PM

Default driveshaft

Originally Posted by jay_rich
Well i decided I would toss my build up on here seeing all the 3rd gen builds popping up. Maybe it will help others on theirs. I also didnt want to drag on a full build on here, wanted to wait til it was somewhat complete.

I bought a low mile stock LG4 305 auto car 2 summers ago after getting bored with my FRC vette. I wanted to build another 3rd gen (last being a 370 LS single T6 turbo) but wanted it more street friendly with a goal of around 550whp, so it made sense to do a 5.3L build this time around.

The first summer I had the car I worked on suspension, then built a 3.5" exhaust all the way back since I knew I was going turbo.

Engine

SBE 2005 5.3L (L59 motor)
2004 LS6 cam
China Headstuds (stock head gaskets)
BTR .660 springs
LS1 intake
Ported truck Throttle body
Melling High pressure oil pump
ATI Balancer
Corvette accessories

Fuel

80# Siemens injectors
Summit AFPR
-8an Feed
-6an Return
Holley Fuel Rails
Walbro 450 pump

Turbo setup

Flipped Truck manifolds (vbanded)
2.25" 14awg mild crossover
Twin 38mm Tial MVS Gates
GT45 turbo (for now)
Ebay 4" Intercooler
Jodar 50mm BOV

Drivetrain/Brakes

1997 4l80 fresh reuild
TCI Flexplate
P.I. Vigilante Triple disk converter
Stock 1998 3.23 torsen rear (purchasing a 9" soon)
1999 SS ZR1's all around (waiting to buy Street lites soon 15/17 combo)
C5 Z06 Fronts with GMMP Slotted/drilled rotors
LT1 rears

Suspension

Ground Control weight jacks (800/175lbs)
Koni Yellow all four corners
Custom torque arm (made myself)
Custom Panhard Relocation (made myself)
UMI rear LCA
UMI Panhard adjustable

Gauges

Speedhut Revolution gauges
innovate SCG-1 (boost controller/AFR/Boost gauge
Maxidisplay center gauge (custom taylored to my specs from Hakan @ Maxigauge) I wanted to do a racepak but in the end this was a bit cheaper

Hey there I know this thread is 6 years old but hopefully I get an answer lol, Im looking to do the same swap in my third gen. I'll be doing a 5.3 with a 97 4l80E and a 4th gen rear. I just cant figure out what drive shaft I will be using. Did you use the stock 3rd or 4th gen one or an aftermarket solution? Thanks

Quick Reply: 1987 Camaro Z28 Turbo 5.3L 4L80e