Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharge the LS2 or LSA

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Default Supercharge the LS2 or LSA

Here's my situation........I built my 66 Impala a couple of years ago 2006 GTO LS 2 drivetrain,,,,,,Great car very happy........but...in the meantime I built a 66 Chevelle with LSA power........After driving the Impala it just doesn't measure up anymore...............So.........Here are my options.......Put a Edelbrock or Magneson blower on to make it more driveable (Torque)..........The car will never be raced........JUst a Power Tour Highway car...........So........I can Boost the NA high compression LS2........Or....I can sell the engine and buy a crate LSA and after selling the LS2 I will only be a couple of grand away from having a engine that was designed around the Blower..........Opinions ????????

Thanks in Advance

Ken
Old 08-11-2015, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

LS2s are pretty stout also and if you're worried about the higher compression you can always put some 317 heads on there to lower it.

All in all the LSA will obviously be the better solution in the end, but nothing wrong with the LS2 for alot less.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:24 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Go for boost.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd boost the LS2, cheaper and less work.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was wondering what you were going to do with the Impala after you built the Chevelle with all that new HP. I'm glad you are keeping it.

Go LSA. If you were on a super tight budget then LS2 but I think you know the LSA will be the easier more reliable route. There are a few other factors also. Do you plan on using the LSA Electronics or adapting your existing LS2 electronics to it. If its the latter, the LS2 might be easier.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I was going to suggest the 525 GM crate engine and was interested in seeing how much horse power the na engine was generating at the lower rpms. I can't believe GM would have such a screwed up graph on their site for the LSA.

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...gines/lsa.html
http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...ls376-525.html
Old 08-14-2015, 06:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

You can supercharge the LS2, but your head choices are limited to LS3/L92 or LSA, so you're stuck at 10.4:1 compression any way you go. That limits you to stock boost or maybe one pulley size down before pump gas wont suffice

Bear in mind the LSA crate is a longblock with SC, balancer and WP. You still need the SC drive and FEAD, possibly AC too. AC is limited to low mount OEM only. Ive seen custom brackets to mount the AC up high along with the SC tensioner, but they look sketchy for long term reliability. FEAD can be any LSx setup on the corvette spacing. Cant remember what your conversion used, but if its C5/6, CTS-V, G8 or custom plates/Holley LS on the corvette spacing you're good to go

You will need harness mods. If your LS2 is a 58x engine, then you simply need to rearrange some connectors. If its 24x, then you need a converter box or new harness/ECM and change the TB

All in all, the magnacharger kit was designed as an after though added to the engine, so it will be easier to add to a conversion vehicle. Used kits will run about the same cost as a LSA SC conversion with less pulley problems

Quick Reply: Supercharge the LS2 or LSA