Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Gen IV 4.8/5.3 Still Boost Friendly?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gen IV 4.8/5.3 Still Boost Friendly?

How boost friendly are the Gen IV 4.8s & 5.3s compared to the Gen III stuff?

I wanted to get into a RCSB 5.3 07-13 Silverado/Sierra but come to find out, they're pretty rare. Haven't found one for sale in my area yet with the 5.3l.

The 4.8s are much more common in the RCSBs. If I settle for the 4.8l, is the stock bottom end still just as capable of big power utilizing boost like the Gen III 4.8? I know the Gen IVs come with AFM/DOD (and some with VVT?), all that will get deleted.

My goal is to have a RCSB 4.8 or 5.3l DAILEY DRIVER turbocharged tuned on E85 with no intercooler. I want 600whp on "kill" mode but it'll only see 6-8lbs when being used for daily applications. I want quick enough spool on the street but not so quick that I'm blowing off the tires at little amounts of throttle. Want to see full boost by maybe 4,000-4,200rpms, start spool at 2,800-3,000ish rpms.

I wanted to use a GT45 if I can find a 5.3l but don't know if the GT45 will work with the 4.8 if I have to settle. So not sure what turbo to go with if I go with the 4.8l? Fuel system will be single Bosch 450lph, Deka 80lb Injectors, and Aeromotive FPR. Will get a custom grind cam when I do the AFM/DOD delete. Will be using LS9 gaskets & ARP head studs. And meth injection for anything over 8lbs since not using an intercooler.

Thanks and much appreciation for any feedback!
Old 10-17-2015, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better do away with the DOD aide those lifters are known to fail.....other than that I think you will be ok, that's just he negative to those motors like you stated
Old 10-17-2015, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Okay good deal, if they're just as strong as Gen III motors then I have no worries about it. The AFM/DOD will be getting deleted and replacing stock lifters with LS7 lifters. Gonna do the AFM/DOD delete package from LJMS.

Now I have a new question. If I settle for the 4.8l motor. What size turbo would be adequate? Would the 76mm GT45 1.05ar T4 still work or do I need to go smaller in AR? This is what I was going to use for a 5.3.

I want to stick with a budget minded turbo for the most part (GT45, On3), however, I will step up to a Borg Warner if I need to to get a turbo with the right specs. Not that BW isn't budget friendly, just that I am looking for an even more budget friendly turbo.

Any suggestions?

Goals are stated in first post.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:57 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by NateLS1Mustang
Okay good deal, if they're just as strong as Gen III motors then I have no worries about it. The AFM/DOD will be getting deleted and replacing stock lifters with LS7 lifters. Gonna do the AFM/DOD delete package from LJMS.

Now I have a new question. If I settle for the 4.8l motor. What size turbo would be adequate? Would the 76mm GT45 1.05ar T4 still work or do I need to go smaller in AR? This is what I was going to use for a 5.3.

I want to stick with a budget minded turbo for the most part (GT45, On3), however, I will step up to a Borg Warner if I need to to get a turbo with the right specs. Not that BW isn't budget friendly, just that I am looking for an even more budget friendly turbo.

Any suggestions?

Goals are stated in first post.
Then gen 4 engines are actually much much stronger than the gen 3s.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Then gen 4 engines are actually much much stronger than the gen 3s.
Even better to hear, thanks!

Quick Reply: Gen IV 4.8/5.3 Still Boost Friendly?