Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Which catch can for boost, MM "Race" or MM "Draft"

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which catch can for boost, MM "Race" or MM "Draft"

Decided to get a new catch can and valve covers. Want to know which one would be better for boost, and what the differences are in boost applications. Also if someone could tell me what some good valve covers are that I could put some AN fittings in that would be great. I do have a TIG welder so I could weld something, but still need to know which valve covers.

This is from the MightyMouse website,

1. Black "Race" Can
- This is a no nonsense can for BECAUSE RACE CAR. Two dirty -AN inlets in 6,8,10 or 3/8 -1/2" barb and a wide open breather to let it all fly (except the oil).
- Use this can when you do not have need or want to put a vacuum draw on the crank case, or circulate fresh air in / dirty out.

2. Black "Draft" Can
- This is one step toward the environment; Hook between your engine and low pressure S/C or TURBO Filtered inlet with your choice of -AN or barb fittings on either side. This can has a ONE WAY BREATHER so it will scavenge crankcase fumes, while venting any blow by you can hum its direction. Guaranteed not to transfer oil.
-Use this can when you want to avoid fumes or oil mist in the engine bay, and want some vacuum draw on the crank case, but do not want to circulate fresh air in / dirty out, OR IN FACTORY SYSTEMS THAT DO NOT USE A PCV VALVE.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up ordering the draft can per David's suggestion
Old 11-14-2015, 03:29 AM
11 Second Club

Works for me and it makes since. I ordered that, the Holley tall valve covers (on backorder), LS3/7 coils, and harness.

If anyone has had any problems out the Holley valve covers let me know so I can cancel it. The only review I've seen was on amazon and they said the baffling isnt great and the catch can was filling up withing 50 miles. I took that with a grain of salt because that could be user error or engine problem.

My other question is. On MMs instructions it says to run a dirty line from valve cover to CC, then clean line from CC to turbo or intake depending on if you're boosted or NA. But I've seen a lot of pictures of guys running it that way plus another line going from valve cover to throttle body. So which way is it. Makes me wonder if that extra line is supposed to be there but not in the instructions because it might be implied or something.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the one your thinking of is his PCV can. When he was explaining it to me and we were talking setups over I didn't run a filter on my turbo and he talked me into that as well and we basically just went -10 from oil fill adaptor to can and then 3/8s barb from can to filter on the turbo. We were going to run duals but at my power we decided it wasn't needed.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Also interested
Old 11-14-2015, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Is there a difference on the internals of the can? I mean they all look the same. Seems like you could put the PCV fitting on a draft can to turn it into the PCV can and vise versa.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe there is any difference other than the PCV style valve. You should contact David at MM with some of these questions. He is most helpful at all times.

Quick Reply: Which catch can for boost, MM "Race" or MM "Draft"