Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What should I do with my converter? 600whp to 900whp

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What should I do with my converter? 600whp to 900whp

Im at the point of needed to have my FLT level 7 4l60e freshened up. It has 6 years of beating and about 25k miles. Still works awesome just started to slip a little on 20 psi boost, about 900whp. 3850lbs car.

Ive been running the same VIG 3 disc lock up 3600 for those 6 years. NO issues with it but since everything is out I am looking for some direction if I should change things up since when I put the car together it had a solid 300 less whp.

Does the specing of a converter change a lot if weight, gearing, type of FI are the same but power has gone up due to turbo changes?

Thanks
Alex
Old 01-27-2016, 12:57 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IF you added "a solid 300 hp" it should have loosened up quite a bit.

What are you trying to do? If you like the way it is, don't change it.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:37 AM
10 Second Club

Just be as efficient as possible and go as fast as possible. I like how it drives and I use a t-brake with it so launching has been fine.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:03 AM
9 Second Club

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

900 to the tire ... sounds like you are at 400 turbo or 4l80 time. I have not seen or herd of many 4l60s at that level.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:59 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
Just be as efficient as possible and go as fast as possible. I like how it drives and I use a t-brake with it so launching has been fine.
You have not provided any information that would allow any of us to guide you on changes to your current converter. The point of my last post was that if you thought it worked good at 600 hp and then thought it worked good at 900 hp, either you don't quite understand what "good" means as far as converter performance or you didn't add a legit 300 hp.

I asked what the purpose of the car is as that would be a starting point for getting you in the right direction. Then, we can come up with something that will work for that purpose. An all out drag car needs a little bit different type of converter than your every day car in my opinion (although lock up type converters have closed that gap somewhat).

RPM Stall coming off the t-brake with power pulled is important
RPM fall back on the shifts is important
Converter slip at the top of high gear is important
Deciding to lock the bitch down in high gear at WOT is important
If it is a street car, cruise rpm is important (less so if you stick with the lock up)

The first and biggest decision is: Do you want a nice driving street car that runs good and is fun at the track or is max et reduction with some slight ill mannered street driving the goal?

Depending on how loose the thing is and driving it on the street.........cooling is another topic that should be addressed for a reliable set up.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:19 AM
10 Second Club

Sorry for lack of details.

Its a street car with a/c and all. I do like how the current converter drives. Cooling is not an issue at all. I have a big cooler with a fan and it wont go over 185 even beating on it.

Went from about 575whp locked up 5 years ago to 900whp locked up 2 years ago. Haven't changed anything this in the last 2 years.

Let me see if I can post a log file. I am not really sure on how to calculate efficiency up top. I always thought my mph was low at about 139mph going high 9s. I have not tried locking it up in 3rd although its not out of the question.

I guess my original question stems from the fact that so much changes with this stuff in a short amount of time. Turbo technology, cams, etc all have gone so far in the last 10 years. Have converters changed much from 6-10 years ago? Are there new brands that most are going with now days in heavy turbo cars? Not sure how many serious cars run the Vig converter and if maybe Im leaving some on the table.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:08 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by yenkomike
900 to the tire ... sounds like you are at 400 turbo or 4l80 time. I have not seen or herd of many 4l60s at that level.
Ya I should probably run an 80 but this thing has been working for a long time. FLT really does good work.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do like how the current converter drives.

Quick Reply: What should I do with my converter? 600whp to 900whp