Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

AEM Meth Flow gauge or IAT gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Default AEM Meth Flow gauge or IAT gauge?

I currently have been overhauling my gauges for a cleaner for condensed look. I now run all speedhut gauges, innovate PSB-1 boost/WB02 gauge and 2 stewart warner maximum peformance gauges for my trans temp and volt reading. I already have a volt reading in my speed hut quad gauge so this gauge is no longer needed ad I feel the accuracy of the speed hut gauge is enough (more than my 87 firebird stock gauge) that I do not need the stewart volt gauge anymore. So I'm looking to sell it and replace it with another gauge that fits my new engine combo.

I went from a 521 BBF NA to a stock 99 5.3 LS with a torque storm supercharger (10-12psi). Motor is all stock except Fbody oil pan swap, LS6 blue valve springs, 60lb bosch injectors and new accessories. I reworked the OEM harness and have HPT pro for tuning. I have all my bases covered gauge wise except the Meth and if really needed a IAT gauge. I would like to be able to see changes in IAT temp or Meth flow so I know the system is working correctly so I would like to do something like that in this new 2 1/16" space that is opening up.

These are the gauges I'm keeping and already have installed.
GPS Speedo
8K Tach with shift lights built in
Boost/WB02
Fuel Level
Water temp
Oil pressure
Oil temp
Trans Temp
Fuel pressure
volt

The 2 gauges on the far right (silver bezel) are the stewart gauges, trans temp top and 2nd volt gauge below. I'm going to put the new gauge in place of the lower silver bezel gauge. This pic is old and I have since swapped out the innovate LC1 WB02 to for the PSB-1 boost/WB02 and added LEDs to indicate 1.) low Meth fluid level (red led next to WB02) and 2.) Green LED Meth activation from 5.5psi pressure switch.

Name:  2015-04-29%2020.48.11_zps499o4hyn.jpg
Views: 5877
Size:  290.2 KB

I'm looking at my options but will be deciding soon and then running with it. My Meth kit is a snow performance stage 1 kit, currently setup with 1 375cc nozzel with a 16psi devils own check valve and i'm going to run wiper fluid 30/70 mix mainly for IAT/detonation control. I also swapped out my old snow injector nozzel for the newer version with an internal check valve. I would run the flow gauge sensor between the nozzel and check valve and hope that the snow nozzel/checkvalve will keep boost out of the sensor.

I'm looking at this AEM gauge as it also allows datalogging and I hope I could get to work with my HPT pro along with datalogging from the boost/WB02 so I can input meth flow into my datalogs.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/avm-30-5142/overview/

Otherwise I'm looking at an IAT gauge setup so I can physically see the drop in IATs to verify the meth is doing its job. But I've owned glowshift gauges before and they are pretty cheap quality and just not a huge fan of them.
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/Dual-...re-Gauges.aspx

So what do you guys think? I can get a good bit off the AEM gauge like $50 or so and i was looking at the 500cc version but Id rather get the larger version as I'm always upgrading in case I need to inject more down the road. Can something like a water/oil temp gauge be used in the Intake to record IAT temp? Or does it need to be an actual IAT sensor?

Last edited by customblackbird; 04-07-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

I am also now looking at the Failsafe gauge setup.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/avm-30-3020

for an extra $30 its a good bargain for the ability to also control the engine if flow is reduced. I would wire it in to activate the same relay that my innovate PSB-1 controls that cuts power to 4 injectors so the engine goes into DOD mode as my safety.

Quick Reply: AEM Meth Flow gauge or IAT gauge?