Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Who has done a 1/2 mile race?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 11:04 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by a05c
I don't get roll racing, or half mile racing.

Just not my cup of tea.
Don't knock it until you try it.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:43 AM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by HolyShiznit
It was a D3 Performance built Vette on it's first time out shaking out bugs... you guys are hillarious. TI is a completely different animal..... it's side by side racing not radar racing.

I'm talking about standing half wannagofast you newb.

Like I said put the pipe down then come back
Old 10-25-2016, 11:44 AM
8 Second Club

This car broke out at 182.. Meaning he was trying to keep the speed down.. All in it makes 1400 but wasn't near that for these passes. 1400' race distance. It is possible.
Attached Thumbnails Who has done a 1/2 mile race?-photo881.jpg  
Old 10-25-2016, 12:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Just not my cup of tea.
Then don't take part. I'm sure many dont get racing over such short distances as 1/8th or 1/4 mile on a car that can do only that and nothing else.

For all those here saying it's so easy...should, could go faster etc...what are their best results at 1/2 mile distance on an airfield from a standing start ? Or perhaps even a roll as some appear to be.

With the speeds they can attain in a 1/4, they should be on target to challenge some of the GTR's and Lambo's with 200+...or even more ?

As that type of event is gaining in popularity, perhaps a table could be generated to record their achievements of best performing LS vehicles ?
Old 10-25-2016, 12:11 PM
8 Second Club

Speak of the devil lol! Looks like the owner isn't that happy with it. 80k
Attached Thumbnails Who has done a 1/2 mile race?-photo980.jpg  
Old 10-25-2016, 12:14 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Then don't take part. I'm sure many dont get racing over such short distances as 1/8th or 1/4 mile on a car that can do only that and nothing else.

For all those here saying it's so easy...should, could go faster etc...what are their best results at 1/2 mile distance on an airfield from a standing start ? Or perhaps even a roll as some appear to be.

With the speeds they can attain in a 1/4, they should be on target to challenge some of the GTR's and Lambo's with 200+...or even more ?

As that type of event is gaining in popularity, perhaps a table could be generated to record their achievements of best performing LS vehicles ?
I stated my MPH at 170 at TX2K16 with roughly 860whp. I've never raced 1/2 mile on a track but did it on the street and saw 191 at the same power level per logs.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
I'm talking about standing half wannagofast you newb.

Like I said put the pipe down then come back
Can you pay attention and quit being a jackass. My comment wasn't even directed at you. It was directed at the guy that STATED TI was a different animal...
Old 10-25-2016, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TI is 1500ft approximately. It has no designated start or stop area as its based on pace. It is also not governed by an approximate start speed. Some races at TI have started as high as 79mph vs Shift Sector/Wanna Go Fast where it's a STANDING half mile. Also most of the half mile events tend to be weekend warrior guys having fun and the INVITATIONAL is a lot of SERIOUS teams.

Gidi was at our last Oregon Shift Sector event and did 242. He did 216 and runner up at TI. Gidi's first trip to SS he trapped 209ish. Just like the Corvette, sometimes you have to workout different things before you get faster. Wouldn't judge the Vette too harshly.

Originally Posted by oscs
And? D3 had a horrible showing at TI this year. Also what difference does it make if it's head up or radar racing? MPH is MPH.. You'll have to excuse me for finding it humorous that most shift sector cars trap the same or less than TI/2K cars in half the distance.. The point of ANY race is to deliver all the power as soon as possible. When faced with shorter race distances you tend to figure out the limits. Those that figure it out win. Those that don't run sub 200mph in 1600whp cars.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:15 PM
8 Second Club

TI is 1500ft approximately. It has no designated start or stop area as its based on pace. It is also not governed by an approximate start speed. Some races at TI have started as high as 79mph vs Shift Sector/Wanna Go Fast where it's a STANDING half mile. Also most of the half mile events tend to be weekend warrior guys having fun and the INVITATIONAL is a lot of SERIOUS teams.

Gidi was at our last Oregon Shift Sector event and did 242. He did 216 and runner up at TI. Gidi's first trip to SS he trapped 209ish. Just like the Corvette, sometimes you have to workout different things before you get faster. Wouldn't judge the Vette too harshly.
Wrong. TI is 1400' just like 2K. Ask me how I know.. The start is at the light and is ideally governed at 65MPH. The pace set is only for the start. A designated lane is chosen and the opponent must follow pace by 1/2 car at 65MPH. The same is true for 2K. It absolutely has a defined stopping point. It's called the finish line do some guys run longer than 1400'? Sure and some run shorter.. Also 95% of the races happen at 70mph or Below. Regardless of that fact it's still irrelevant.. If they started from a dead stop the speeds would be MUCH higher and at an even shorter distance than a Half mile so your argument is irrelevant.

Also the whole "weekend warrior" comment is absolutely correct. Like I said earlier you wannagofast/shift sector guys are playing a child's game compared to TI and 2K. As far as Gidi is concerned I'm not sure how or why that is relevant. You're basically proving my point.

Last edited by oscs; 10-25-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:36 PM
8 Second Club

Regardless this is turning into a half mile vs. 1400' race distance argument and not what the OP was originally asking. For that I apologize OP. At the end of the day I think 190mph is in you're half mile future. Good luck!
Old 10-25-2016, 07:25 PM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Lol I was gonna say wtf is the difference between "drag" racing and a standing half
Old 10-26-2016, 01:08 PM
9 Second Club

Lol I was gonna say wtf is the difference between "drag" racing and a standing half
more seat time !
Old 10-29-2016, 07:30 AM
Launching!

And it's done that in 1/2 a mile ?

with a stock LS3 ?...I really doubt that

Maybe you mean a mile ?
I'll vouch for the yellow RX7. Wannagofast in January 2016. It was 45 degrees in Ocala FL and he did indeed run 190+ in a half mile from a standing start.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:50 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
I'll vouch for the yellow RX7. Wannagofast in January 2016. It was 45 degrees in Ocala FL and he did indeed run 190+ in a half mile from a standing start.
Yes but my query was because he said it was a stock LS3.....

I'd doubt a stock LS3 would pull most cars to 190+ at all ! lol

Fire a couple of turbos on it etc etc and install in a light aerodynamic chassis...and of course it will go fast.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:48 PM
8 Second Club

My buddy Andy is in the process of dropping a TT LS3 motor in is 90's Lotus Esprit. Going to be a great car for these events.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:52 PM
9 Second Club

The last of the Esprit's, the V8's were class looking cars. Dont think their original engine was too great though.

Choice of transaxle may limit speed/gearing ?

When I enquired with Renegade a while back, they did say some of the G50's did have taller gearing and should allow 200mph at around 7500rpm ( tyre dependant of course too )

But a lot I searched through had shorter overall gearing.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:59 PM
8 Second Club

The last of the Esprit's, the V8's were class looking cars. Dont think their original engine was too great though.

Choice of transaxle may limit speed/gearing ?

When I enquired with Renegade a while back, they did say some of the G50's did have taller gearing and should allow 200mph at around 7500rpm ( tyre dependant of course too )

But a lot I searched through had shorter overall gearing.
Yeah this one had the V8. He sold the motor for 10k.... unreal. He is going to use the same trans axle as the GTM cars. It's the one from the Audi/Lamborghini. There are a few options but the one he is using is the 2.15 set I think. Very "top speed" oriented. I think he said they only cost like 12/13k iirc. The car is going to hook really well. His goal is 900whp and 1000 turned up. 6speed paddle shifted car.
Attached Thumbnails Who has done a 1/2 mile race?-photo289.jpg   Who has done a 1/2 mile race?-photo137.jpg  
Old 10-30-2016, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I got more answer then I bargained for.....Some good info said though. I dont give a **** about a guessing game on how fast my car will go. 180-200 who knows, who cares. It does 168 at its best in the quarter. I just want to try this because my cage cert is good to 8.50, car can nearly bracket race 8.50. Cant do any faster legally so need to broaden the capability's of my car.

Me too. Laughing at the concept of traction on a runway vs a track. Its all good man i am dumb as hell and dont know what I am talking about. You are correct on everything.

OP wish you luck cant wait to hear results.
Is traction at 100+ really that much of an issue at these events with cars setup for racing and planting power? Im not refering to the guy who claims 1000 RWHP on his stock *** suspensioned c5 ether. Coilover cars, who can make adjustments to battle the road. I have put down a ton of power on a highway with the right setup, shouldnt be worse than a smooth as glass runway made of concrete vs asphalt roads.

192 on ice cold surface, stock ls3

IRS and all.... Bryan just understands power delivery unlike 95℅ of people out there

I would need to add a gear vendor to make my car work, swapping gears to make 200mph possible would wreck the way it works. OD unit would not
I was also debating on a gear-vendor unit in my car, but was told from multiple guys at the WannaGoFast event that the over drive would be less optimal then just doing a rear gear swap. Put more load on the motor, and let the converter work for you. I am yet to ask Gear-Vendor about this, and was on my list of places to hit at PRI in december.

Just not my cup of tea.
I didnt get it ether man. 1/4 mile only for me for the last 10+ years....Until I went to one and seen how cool it is to watch street street cars go run the **** out of them all day. Plus its getting bigger, and you get some really interesting data Im sure with a 15 second run duration. haha.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

traction is serious issue at these events. a year or so ago there was a guy with an insane turbo ls9 FD rx7 I think making 1200whp and he was using boost by gear and spinning drag radials almost the whole way down I believe. I remember him going >190mph. every event and conditions are different but at my 1/2 mile event my 900whp/860wtq c6 with coilovers, traction oriented alignment, and 19" nt05r I spin until like 80mph so I run 17 ET street R now and can hook up 3rd but not 2nd or 1st. aero comes into play big time in 1/2 mile, tuning and traction is also very different, and very different game than 1/4. I think more fun personally although I never got into drag racing really.

I think to hit >190mph in a true standing 1/2 mile would take 1,100whp+ which would be tough on a 4 bolt setup imo. e85, a2w, methanol are all great for 1/2 mile where IATs and tuning are even more critical.

I just installed trackspec hood vents, with more precise data to come shortly once I have time to dig through it all but helped keep the front end of my car down a lot. my car is super low too in order to keep air out from under the front. I've heard removing side view mirrors is worth 1-3mph in standing mile so probably worth maybe 1mph in 1/2 mile too? if you're doing 189mph and want that 190 number maybe worth a shot.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

We run 2 C6 Z06's in the mile, one boosted and one nitrous both make right at 1100hp. Due to traction we cant go WOT until 4th gear and run in the low 17x's in the 1/2 and 210mph in the mile. Thats spraying 500 shot in the nitrous car and 18lb boost in the blower car. Both cars should go in the 212-215 range with a little better power management in the first half mile.

Quick Reply: Who has done a 1/2 mile race?