Old 12-11-2016, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking good ! What accessories kit?
Old 12-11-2016, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by customblackbird
Looks good! I've started the same thing but it's the opposite. Just started pulling the 150k 5.3 apart and going to rip it out of the car. Got a custom cam motion cam that just came in and lots of other goodies showing up. Money money money! Great to see another 3rd gen on this forum!
Rock on! Do you have a build thread started? I had to start this thing with the turbo off, to make sure all the weld particles blew out which was a mistake because it knocked a fluorescent light out of the ceiling. Oops! My custom grind is a 228/234, can't wait to make some pulls. Let's see your 3rd gen!

Originally Posted by No Juice
Looking good ! What accessories kit?
Thanks man! It's not bad. Few things could be a little better but I'm happy. I have the Ict billet bracket kit. Truck alt and crank pulley, ls1 water pump and power steering pump
Old 12-11-2016, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well got the hotside almost done, need to plumb in the gates , and build my whole cold side but I hooked it up for now to mobilize it. Tons to do but out of time for now. I got to hear it make some noise so I'm happy. I didn't like the turbo placement so u cut it off and redid it a bit.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

I would have thought u would have cocked the turbo on a angle so the filter was in the tray area more. Still tho sounds good. I don't have a build thread here as I have one over on third gen.org. I literally threw it together in 3 months but mine was supercharged. Car was a lot of fun at 12psi on the street and had it running good. But it was a bone stock 150k 5.3 with LS6 valve springs. Wanted to freshen it up and get some more power. Ported heads, custom cam and a new valvetrain, oil pump, basically a full rebuild but the rotating kit in leaving alone. I should pick up 80hp easily with just the cam swap. I would be happy with 100hp and it will idle like the stock cam.

new cam is 214/228 .561" 115.5+4.5

Might start a build thread here tho with the new upgrades. Going to spend more time cleaning it up and making it look better and redo the wiring.

Last edited by customblackbird; 12-11-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Beautiful car man! Maybe with going to run a turbo gaurd or remove the inner pass headlight and put a tube in its place lol
Old 12-11-2016, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you still have a heater?
Old 12-11-2016, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

That could work. But I personally would always run some kind of actual cone filter to keep **** out of the impeller. Twisting the turbo toward the corner will allow a decent sized filter to bolt right onto the compressor.

Nope! No heater, no wipers and no AC. Don't even have the HVAC blower anymore. Car is strictly warm weather only and I try not to take it out in the rain. I tried to drive it in the winter for a few years back when it was an original bolt on TPI and the snow in NJ was not fun. Then with a 383 HSR I lost the rear end when it spun out due to freak cold temps one night and my summer tires turned to plastic and spun out into a curb. Snapped an axle like a tooth pick, bent the axle tube and destroyed 2 rims. It's not worth it honestly. Due to the 8pt roll bar I have no rear seats so it's limited. So I beat the **** out of it when it's warmer than 60 and put it away for mods over the winter
Old 12-11-2016, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Going to be interesting how you mount the A2W intercooler. The heat exchanger might block enough airflow to your rad to increase engine temps a bit. But being a camaro you have an open bumper where I do not. Where are u planning to put the reservoir?
Old 12-12-2016, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn that sucks man!

I'm thinking about deleting the a/c box. I put a 6.2 diesel in my 89 camaro and I still have that box I laid to delete a/c but keep heat, I might try and fit that. Either way a/c has to go so I can run full exhaust.

I have room to put a 90 on the turbo compressor but I'm scared it will restrict air flow. The cone filters scare me, I've seen several get sucked into turbos.

I'm going to mount the reservoir in the back in the spare tire area, and run a bbc electric water pump converted to 1" pipe and run that up front and then back on a Hobbs switch.

Currently I have zero cooling issues. I'm trying to think of where to mount the intercooler box that won't get heated by the exhaust or by hot air from the radiator
Old 12-12-2016, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I personally swapped a 521 BBF into the same TA that you just saw... Was freaking awsome. No one had ever done it, and took a while to figure it out and alot of hand made parts but it worked just fine. THe 5.3 is new... picked it up and threw it in and drove it all summer, enjoying it much more than the 521 for street manners. I love seeing when people do different things. I would totally back you up in putting the diesel in... that thing would turn alot of heads!

The 90 in 1 bend shouldn't be that bad, in my pic you can see I run two 45* couplers and I haven't seen any ill effects. My tubing is 3.5" though... not sure on the turbo inlet on yours. The only cone filter not to use is the double inverted kind... the ones wtih the cap/cone on the inside... these are a NONO as the suction can suck the metal cone into the impeller. I run an Airraid quality filter that came with my supercharger and has never had any problems. Dont skimp on on the filter... the amount of **** you could suck in and ruin your turbo/motor isn't worth the $50-100 for a good filter. Basically dont use anything that looks like this on the end

Pump sounds like a good idea... not sure if you will have any issues with that? Like some of the bosch or rule pumps don't like to suck fluid so they are mounted/gravity fed to from the reservoir. How big are you going on the reservior?

You prob will be fine on cooling. But the specs Ive seen on the cheap head ex-changers is that they are like 2.5-3" thick... basically the thickness of a aftermarket radiator or decent FMIC. They will create blocked flow through the rad. The only change I made to my cooling system was a FMIC 31x12x3.25" and it caused a 20*F temp rise in engine temps at lower RPM/speed. Just be mindful thats all. I think your best bet is it put it right behind the front bumper cover where the Camaro guys put the FMIC. The openings should put air right into the ex-changer and be forward enough for to not be affected by the radiator heat. I am jealous of the camaro bumpers for this very reason.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by customblackbird
I personally swapped a 521 BBF into the same TA that you just saw... Was freaking awsome. No one had ever done it, and took a while to figure it out and alot of hand made parts but it worked just fine. THe 5.3 is new... picked it up and threw it in and drove it all summer, enjoying it much more than the 521 for street manners. I love seeing when people do different things. I would totally back you up in putting the diesel in... that thing would turn alot of heads!

The 90 in 1 bend shouldn't be that bad, in my pic you can see I run two 45* couplers and I haven't seen any ill effects. My tubing is 3.5" though... not sure on the turbo inlet on yours. The only cone filter not to use is the double inverted kind... the ones wtih the cap/cone on the inside... these are a NONO as the suction can suck the metal cone into the impeller. I run an Airraid quality filter that came with my supercharger and has never had any problems. Dont skimp on on the filter... the amount of **** you could suck in and ruin your turbo/motor isn't worth the $50-100 for a good filter. Basically dont use anything that looks like this on the end

Pump sounds like a good idea... not sure if you will have any issues with that? Like some of the bosch or rule pumps don't like to suck fluid so they are mounted/gravity fed to from the reservoir. How big are you going on the reservior?

You prob will be fine on cooling. But the specs Ive seen on the cheap head ex-changers is that they are like 2.5-3" thick... basically the thickness of a aftermarket radiator or decent FMIC. They will create blocked flow through the rad. The only change I made to my cooling system was a FMIC 31x12x3.25" and it caused a 20*F temp rise in engine temps at lower RPM/speed. Just be mindful thats all. I think your best bet is it put it right behind the front bumper cover where the Camaro guys put the FMIC. The openings should put air right into the ex-changer and be forward enough for to not be affectced by the radiator heat. I am jealous of the camaro bumpers for this very reason.
That's crazy! I bet that pissed people off haha.
I did put he diesels in, I actually did it to two different ones!

I'll have a 5 gallon cell I'm going to mount in the passenger spare tire wheel well. I'll mount the pump directly bellow the cell. But honestly as nice as this all can out I'm considering just spraying a little meth and calling it good :/

Old 01-24-2017, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hotside finished today, ready to go in the car and let her rip
Old 01-24-2017, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No intercooler?
Old 01-26-2017, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Modchevelle
No intercooler?
Im running e85, I think I'll just spray meth for now.

Finished pictures of the hotside !
Look what showed up today

Old 01-26-2017, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting. Dual wastegates. Where you plumbing them into? You def want to dump them back into the exhaust as they are crazy loud/annoying when they are open to atmosphere.

On E85 and meth you don't need an intercooler. Although the meth would be purely for charge temp drop as E85 is Already great at detonation. U might want to consider spraying as far from the TB as possible or possibly into the inlet of the turbo. I've been spraying into the inlet of my supercharger and so far ok.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

That was my plan, pre inlet, read
Great
Things about temp drop.

Undecided on gate plumbing, waiting on my MBC still
Old 01-27-2017, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those wheels looks great!!!!
Old 01-27-2017, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man!!!
Old 01-28-2017, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn this turbo sings.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I gotta say that turbo sounds trick..thats my only complaint about my On3 is how quiet it is lol. Im getting closer to swapping to the On3 billet 84mm..cause why not lol.Maybe it might light off a lil faster and sound meaner.Congrats on making some of your first blow off sounds lol.

Quick Reply: Ls1 Iroc Swapping to Turbo - billet 78/75 and A/W