Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Scavenge pumps and plumbing them

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scavenge pumps and plumbing them

Well since I mounted the turbo in the bed of my S10, I need to get a scavenge pump setup. I have looked at a few pumps and want to get a good one. I also would like to know more if a sump tank is needed, what size lines to use ect. I have -10 fittings in my pan already which was going to be for a standard front mount setup, but the turbo wouldn't fit. So just a 101 class on them. Restrictors if needed ect..

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No restrictor
-8 from turbo to pump
-6 from pump to valve cover

No smoke no problems
Old 01-16-2017, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Mine are mounted under the cab of my truck.
Feed: -4 AN feed to the turbos no restrictors (Journal Bearing)

Drain lines: -10 AN, then into a Y fitting and into a turbowerx exa pump then to a -10 bung welded into my oil pan. Out of the pump I would suggest to install a check valve. I had issues with oil draining back to my turbos that didnt make it all the way to the pan, but yours is mounted a little higher than mine.

Before the pump I also installed an AN fitting with a 1/8" port and installed a 4PSI hobbs switch. It is wired to a red LED on my dash to let me know if the pump goes out and pressure builds up.

And finally I power the pump with an adjustable time delay relay that runs the pump for 2 min after I turn the truck off. No smoke and no issues after 4K miles on the street and strip

Good Luck man!

Old 01-17-2017, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info. I was wondering on the sump tank, if one is needed. I have heard some say yes because of pressure going into the oil pan from the pump. Others say its not an issue.

And then the restrictors. Some say use them, some say not needed.

So, yea, it gets confusing on which way is really best.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

My single front mount PT7675 has a straight -10an drain fitting, braided steel hose that heads off to the passenger side, going into a Turbowerx scavenge pump. The outlet -10an line runs straight back to meet a -10an EL going into the side of the Oil Pan.
My pump runs off a relay that turns on with Key On. I like Travatoif2's idea though. I'm going to look for that relay. No problems with mine so far but I've only driven it about 500 miles since the installation of the Turbowerx.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Restrictors only for the feed side into the turbo. Drain line is just that, drain to prevent backup in the CHRA.

A sump can never hurts unless design is fubar. A basic overflow with a bung at the bottom will help at high rpm and emergency time to pull over if/when the pump fails.

Is your turbo mounted below the oil level in the pan? Pushing fluid uphill and having a reliable pump are the hardest parts.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

The turbo is mounted in the bed. The pump will be mounted under the bed and then the line to the oil pan will be nearly level to the oil pan. It may move up and down a little making a safe path back to the front of the truck.
Pictures on the last page of my build thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-9-rear-6.html

Quick Reply: Scavenge pumps and plumbing them