Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Head gaskets for a 4.8

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gaskets for a 4.8

Alright guys. So I bought a "running when pulled" 4.8. After sitting in garage for 6 months I started to work on it to get it ready for the swap and boost, I discovered the crank wouldn't spin. So off cam the pan and heads. Two piston seized with rust and pitted bad. So since these things are cheap I found another short block. So off cam the heads to make sure this one was good. Now since it's coming apart I'll file the rings but the problem I'm having is finding the right head gaskets. I can get the stock ones but they are not multi layered and i read that the bore of the gasket actually comes into the combustion chamber. Ebay has ls1 5.7l multi layer for cheap. Will they work?
sorry for the long post, I just figured I needed to justify why I pulled the heads in the first place haha.
thanks in advance
Old 02-23-2017, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran stock graphite style gaskets on my 4.8 for two years with no problem at 650 700hp. Since you got it apart I would do factory ls1 multi layer gaskets and hit them with copper spray and be done
Old 02-23-2017, 08:12 PM
Teching In

I'm giving gm part number 12498544 a shot in my build. They are mls and about 45$ a set
Old 02-23-2017, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks

Awesome. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Head gaskets for a 4.8