Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Most boost I can safely run with a stock engine??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 05:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Most boost I can safely run with a stock engine??

I learned that supercharging is very tempting but not always good, eventually most people fry their motor. I spent the extra cash and bought a 383 LT4 with really beefy rotating assymblies, converted splain 4 bolt mains... (the works) I even got it 9.1:1 CR and matching cam if I ever want to supercharge it.
I found that my 383 with LT4 heads, etc. makes as much power as a 6-8 psi supercharged stock LT-1 and I REALLY doubt I will be frying anypart of my motor anytime soon.

My opinon: supercharged stock LT-1 or LS-1 x time equals needs new LS-1 which equals, alot more money than i spent for 450 Horsepower.
Old 04-25-2002, 06:38 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If longevity is what you are looking for then stay NA and keep the compression down. I was a NA person myself until I started having engine problems. This time I am building a stronger shortblock. Boost will come later...
Old 04-25-2002, 03:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must remember, boost deserves respect

While some FI setups are more reliable than others, mechanically that is, they all require some thought.

You can't bolt them on, turn up the wick, and expect things to live happily.

You must maintain a well tuned setup. Proper fueling, advance, boost, and octane. The second you don't stick to the requirements you break things.

I ran a stock longblock to nearly 600 RWHP for 25k+ miles, daily driving it. But i kept the setup the same. Low timing, plenty of fuel, and mixing 110 in EVERY TANK. That was on 10 to 12 psi, every day.

I could have run straight pump gas on 8 psi, and made 500 RWHP if i felt the need. If i wasn't near the stations with good fuel, i turned down the boost. Simple as that.

You must respect boost, especially on stock parts.
Old 04-25-2002, 04:24 PM
Shorty Director

I agree.. I respect the boost..
Old 04-25-2002, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by VINCE:
<strong>I agree.. I respect the boost..</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yup, and inject Alky for an extra margin of safety!!

SC
Old 04-25-2002, 07:05 PM
Shorty Director

What this alky I keep hearing everyone talk about? How much does it cost? Do you guys run it all the time? What does it bring your octane up too?
Old 04-27-2002, 05:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Vince, The guys that are tying it are saying they beleive all the gains to be due to increased ignition advance, true. They say the water/alcohol slows down the combustion process, much like high octane gasoline, but I don't know that you can say the octane of the gasoline is raised.

One guy said he heard audible knock on hot days without the injection, yet never heard another "ping", no matter how hot the engine got or the ambient temperature, after the injection system.
Old 04-27-2002, 06:41 AM
Shorty Director

Is this a system or what? What money are we talking about?
Old 04-27-2002, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by VINCE:
<strong>Is this a system or what? What money are we talking about?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do a search on Alcohol Injection. There are a couple of individuals on this site that pioneered inexpesive systems that allow them to turn up the boost without causing problems.

The Alcohol has a cooling effect on the intake charge. One person dropped significant heat from the intake charge and stayed out of detonation.

It's what I'll end up with after the single turbo install.

SC
Old 04-27-2002, 11:13 AM
Shorty Director

That sounds like a winner..

Quick Reply: Most boost I can safely run with a stock engine??