Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Considering Vortech Kit, Please post #'s/input

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Considering Vortech Kit, Please post #'s/input

Hi,

I am considering a Vortech V9 SQ G-Trim (I think that's what it is). 9 PSI Aftercooled. I am assuming that 500RWHP is attainable, especially with my bolt on mods already. Debating between this and H/C. I think I am gonna spend the extra $ and get the blower.

Can anybody post results with LS1 with similar mods????? And any input or fedback or advcie would be appreciated.

-As for parts I will have to buy with this kit (considering extra costs):
-Clutch
-Guages
Anything else???

Thx

Ryan
Old 11-14-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there you go
Old 11-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Anymore responses????
Old 11-17-2005, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

I am running Vortech kit on my GTO, getting 480 RWHP on Dynajet Dyno. I have similar mods. I just added alky system and with new tune should be right at 500 to the wheels. With cam I could easily pickup another 50. You should be able to get to 500 with the right sized pulley, of course that will be pushing it.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd call RMCR right off the bat and get the kit with a T or YSi head unit. Then you get a Vortech kit that can attain the flow levels of the D1SC or F1 ATI. You can run a large pulley at first if you don't want to stress the motor too much and still have more left over if the mod bug keeps crawling up your ***, which he usually does.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

My mods and power are in my signature.... I'm only pushing 6lbs of boost with the stock pulley due to the efficiency of the mods. I'm gonna drop down to a 2.75 and that should get my back up to 9lbs and well over 500rwhp. I already had the spec 3 clutch when I installed the vortech only extras I had to buy were the guages! good luck with whatever you decide!
Bob
Old 11-17-2005, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

oops... just realized #'s arent in sig..... 478 rwhp and 446 rwtq on a dynojet!
Old 11-17-2005, 12:41 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Here are mine let me know if you want to know anymore information. Old blue just did 498 cam only and auto with a 3500 stall. He was still running out of fuel though.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Both you guys got it installed at a shop??? Any problems, how long was the install and tuning? Anything else I have to upgrade on the car besides guages and clutch??? Just don't want any surprises.....

Do you have lots of tourque down low, or does it take a bit to build. I am thinking I would rather have a SC car over a H/C car.

Thx guys for all input.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:40 PM
10 Second Club

i made 474/448 on old setup

easily making over 500 now

you'll need a 12 bolt so add that in to your list.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:23 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Both you guys got it installed at a shop??? Any problems, how long was the install and tuning? Anything else I have to upgrade on the car besides guages and clutch??? Just don't want any surprises.....

Do you have lots of tourque down low, or does it take a bit to build. I am thinking I would rather have a SC car over a H/C car.

Thx guys for all input.
I do all my own work MTI tuned it for me. Yes lots of TQ down low even with a stock car. My recomendations would be clutch and a 12bolt is optional depending on what you are doing (Street driving OK.) I just finally installed one for some hard launches etc... if you are going much further than 500-520 you will need a fuel system change other than the T-rex that comes with the kit.Oh yeah a set of valve springs would be a lot better also.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Old setup

Stock bottem end LS1
Vortech 9 psi
MMS stage 2 heads
224-114 lsa cam
ported throttle body
LS6 intake manifold
JBA shorty headers, RT high flow cats & Borla exhaust

I made 512 rw@6200 rpm and 571 lb tq @3600 rpm
Old 11-17-2005, 04:02 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Inspector12
I do all my own work MTI tuned it for me. Yes lots of TQ down low even with a stock car. My recomendations would be clutch and a 12bolt is optional depending on what you are doing (Street driving OK.) I just finally installed one for some hard launches etc... if you are going much further than 500-520 you will need a fuel system change other than the T-rex that comes with the kit.Oh yeah a set of valve springs would be a lot better also.
This Guy doesnt know anything about this system. Dont listen to him. Also Jeff Guess what? I now have all the parts to the bracket! Im off tomorrow be expecting a package I know I took forever but its done
Old 11-17-2005, 04:10 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

This Guy doesnt know anything about this system. Dont listen to him. Also Jeff Guess what? I now have all the parts to the bracket! Im off tomorrow be expecting a package I know I took forever but its done
JM,
Are you sending me the templates or the brackets? Or did you have some made etc... did you work something out with that guy? I have good news and bad new about my setup call me at work if you have time (281)834-0322.
Jeff
Old 11-17-2005, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

My friend and I installed the kit in the garage and had TTP do my final tune. Tuning is set up very conservatively and I prolly could of made it to 500hp if I wanted to but I'd rather be extra safe. Install took just over a week couple hours at a time.... prolly added up to about 18-20 hours total. Very glad I installed the kit myself... alot of extra pride in knowing we put it in ourselves.... plus extra money saved for other mods.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I wanted to ask both Inspector and Silver bullet whats mods gave the nice torque #'s.... I'm deffinetly looking to increase my torque some. I have a 2002 LS6 cam comming in with some 918's and was wondering what kinda of increases I would prolly see with the cam. I believe the #'s for the cam are 204/218 with a 115 LSA?
Thanks!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
I'd call RMCR right off the bat and get the kit with a T or YSi head unit. Then you get a Vortech kit that can attain the flow levels of the D1SC or F1 ATI. You can run a large pulley at first if you don't want to stress the motor too much and still have more left over if the mod bug keeps crawling up your ***, which he usually does.
I would have to agree. I have S trim and am going to go to T trim. Wish I would have got T trim originally.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:13 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I wanted to ask both Inspector and Silver bullet whats mods gave the nice torque #'s.... I'm deffinetly looking to increase my torque some. I have a 2002 LS6 cam comming in with some 918's and was wondering what kinda of increases I would prolly see with the cam. I believe the #'s for the cam are 204/218 with a 115 LSA?
That is a good cam for boosted applications for sure. As far as the TQ goes I would have to say it is a combination as a whole. Tunning is a huge part for sure. And if you are being very conservative then the numbers on both sides are going to reflect that so don't expect more than you are tunning for etc... And if you are on the stock bottom end stay around the 500-522 range and it will probably last a good while with some care and good tunning. Also I don't know if Silverbullet's numbers were with an auto or 6spd, but sometimes the TC will help make some awsome low end tq like his did at 3600 witch I would guess is some where in the range of a converter that would likely be used. Mine makes 400lbs of tq from 2500 up and peaks @ the 5000 range. If you need advice on anything I will give you my .02 for free I have a lot of people asking me question I answer what I know and will give you ideas on what I think will work based on my experimenting. SJH is a great guy for information also he doesn't post much, but I think he is pushing the envelope for a G-trim and I would be willing to bet his car rolls. Looks like it should.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:22 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Bikerboy1-
Oh and another thing the Fast 78mm you are using hasn't shown great improvments over the LS6 in boosted applications. Right after they came out a guy I can't remember his name on here did a back to back comparison over his LS6 and Lost like 18 or so rwhp and even more tq. I haven't personaly tested it, but it might be one of the reasons for your lower TQ numbers just giving you ideas. but after you put your cam in you might borrow a LS6 and see.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the heads up. I'll end up keeping the Fast intake because I love the looks and got brand new for a steal. I'm not too worried about maximum output as much as I am about reliabilty and funablility. I'm very happy with my both my torque and HP curves, HP climbs up all the way to 6400 and never shows signs of dropping off and T is pretty smooth throughout the whole range. My only problem is some idiot cut me off this past spring less then a week after installing and tuning and I lost my front end. He never stopped and I didn't have full coverage <I know I'm an Idiot> so now I have a noseless car sitting in my garage. Thankfully no damage to the supercharger itself or motor. Just need parts for the aftercooler now such as pump, radiotor and resevior. Bought a rolling chassis for all the parts now I just need to save up $4000 for the labor. I'm hoping to have it up and running again by summer.... Keep your fingers crossed!

Quick Reply: Considering Vortech Kit, Please post #'s/input