Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A few questions for you ATI guys?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions for you ATI guys?

Hey fellas, im not new to supercharging but new to LS1 supercharging. I have had several 10 and 9 sec blown mustangs, but never worked on or even seen a blown LS1 car in person. My question is this: Im looking at maybe goin the P1sc procharger route, but i Know like my mustang days that these kits are designed with stock engines in mind and modified ones need support equipment. With my TA in sig ill be adding some Patriot or PRC LS6 heads to go along with my cam shortly. What additional items will i may need other than the ATI kit....like injectors, fuel pump, and such to support 5-7 psi H/C car safely......thanks for your time fellas
Old 05-06-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you go with the 8rib (less belt slip) d1sc kit from the start? It'll allow for easier upgradeability in the future. Although you can upgrade the p1 at a later date, I believe it'll cost about $1k more vs a few hundred now. Also, I'm not sure if the thicker intercoolers are standard on the p1 like they are with the d1.

Going with the 8rib, you'd also need the ATI harmonic balancer, and if you can, go with at least 60lb injectors from the start. Although 42lb will work fine for now, once you start raising boost, you'll have to buy another set. As for the fuel pump, I've got the Procharger inline pump, but it's already pretty much maxed right now. There are tons of other choices like Racetronix pnp, Aeromotive, etc., so you can do a search for those.

Other than that, give Bob a call at Exotic Performance Plus. He'll get you set up right !!

Gary
Old 05-07-2006, 08:27 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thanks Gary!
I agree, first of all, remember that the LS1 engines have a larger cubic inch displacement than a 5.0 Ford or a 4.6L. The P-1SC can be quickly maxed out on an LS1 as headers, camshafts, better flowing heads, stroker cranks, and the ever present urge for more boost... Bob
Old 05-07-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kazfan30
Hey fellas, im not new to supercharging but new to LS1 supercharging. I have had several 10 and 9 sec blown mustangs, but never worked on or even seen a blown LS1 car in person. My question is this: Im looking at maybe goin the P1sc procharger route, but i Know like my mustang days that these kits are designed with stock engines in mind and modified ones need support equipment. With my TA in sig ill be adding some Patriot or PRC LS6 heads to go along with my cam shortly. What additional items will i may need other than the ATI kit....like injectors, fuel pump, and such to support 5-7 psi H/C car safely......thanks for your time fellas
You really should consider the D1SC, and a different set of heads. The deck plate on the bottom of the Patriot heads is really not thick enough. Have had several friends that put them on and they ended up lifting them even with studs and were only talking about 15psi. The P1SC is a nice blower, but if you have already been playing around with SC's, the P1SC will get old quick.

Patriot makes great product, just not the best suited for a blower application unless they have come out with a new head with thicker deck. Kurt at Wheel to Wheel was thought to have some studs that are better to use then ARP stuff. I would check that out as well.
Just a thought.
Bryan
Old 05-07-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, your input is appreciated. Ill surely take a better look into the bigger head unit
Old 05-07-2006, 12:22 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

If you are planning on keeping the boost at a lower level, a stock based cylinder head design won't give you any problems. We've used the Patriots on many 12 to 14 psi cars without any problems. We have a set of reworked LQ9's on a turbo Corvette that is making 790 rwhp on my dyno, it has been together for several years.
I'd go with the ATI ProCharger 1GJ204-SCI D-1SC "tuner' kit. This comes with the larger 4.5" thick twin intercoolers, and with he wider 8 rib belt. It includes everything but the injectors, fuel pump, balancer and tuning.
I'd go with 60lb injectors, 255 liter in tank pump, ATI Performance products balancer, and a chassis dyno tune. With 8 psi of boost and a good tune, you will have a very reliable powerplant, and you should see an additional 140+ rwhp. Bob