Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pulleys, Meth, And Boost Amount ?s

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulleys, Meth, And Boost Amount ?s

I am still learning and would appreciate all help.

01 Camaro SS: Procharger (D1SC), SLP Long Tubes, 37.5 lbs. injectors, Blower Cam (228/228 563 114 LS), 3" exhaust, Spec Stage 3 Clutch.

1) Is there a formula to tell you what amount of boost you get from a certain setup? for example an X size crank pulley, with a Y size blower pulley on a D1SC Procharger.

2) I ordered an Alky Control meth kit for my car, and was wondering what amount of boost I could get away with on stock internals. Before anyone replies with well all cars are different and some can take more than others, I know this. I am merely trying to find the avg. amount people can get with a good tune, and safe AFR.

3) This is a throw back to question 1, and more than likely will be answered by it, but if not: how much of a change in pulley size is needed to make changes in boost. I know a .1 difference would, but I am just curious as to how much, 1 psi, 1/2, 5, etc. I would assume that it all could be determined by a formula but correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for the help,
Travis
Old 06-04-2006, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Works243t

2) I ordered an Alky Control meth kit for my car, and was wondering what amount of boost I could get away with on stock internals. Before anyone replies with well all cars are different and some can take more than others, I know this. I am merely trying to find the avg. amount people can get with a good tune, and safe AFR.
Nice choice on the alky kit! I run the alky control setup also. The upper limit of the engine is a delicate issue because there are so many variables - but the key is to prevent detonation. I'm running 8 PSI non-intercooled right now with alky and will be stepping up to 11-12 PSI in a couple of weeks still with no IC. I'd love to say you could go higher, but I've only read about other's experiences doing so therefore I won't make this statement. Really it depends on how much alky you are willing to spray. Also if you mix with water to take advantage of its powerful cooling effect, you can probably boost even higher then with straight alky.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Only one reply? Thanks Draco for your response, now can anyone help me a little more.

P.S. My setup is intercooled.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say that with meth and your cam that you could get a way with a 3.7 pulley for a good safe setup. But each car is different with mods ect.
I was getting a good 9 psi with a 3.7 stock cam + 1.85 arms. Sense then have went to a 3.4. But I like to have my boost come in much sooner on the rpm range. But I stay out of the upper limit of the band. Have also added another intercooler and custom ducting vs the stock procharger setup. So I am knocking down the pressure a bit more. To add to the picture I am at a much higher elevation 5200' so air is much harder to come by up here.
Currently working on meth as well for safety.
A lot depends on the tune, the tune can make or brake you!
Old 06-06-2006, 05:15 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by Works243t
1) Is there a formula to tell you what amount of boost you get from a certain setup? for example an X size crank pulley, with a Y size blower pulley on a D1SC Procharger.
No, not really. A 4.5" pulley would be what you would of needed for a bone stock LS1 F Body for 8 to 9 psi. Add headers and a catback and this 4.5" pulley would only be seeing approx 6.5 psi. Now you're down to about a 4.25" pulley to see the 8 psi. Add a camshaft and better flowing heads, possibly more cubes, and it becomes a good educated guess. A cam with more overlap is going to bleed off more boost than a cam designed for forced induction. Bob

Quick Reply: Pulleys, Meth, And Boost Amount ?s