Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Blower belt stretch...how much ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 04:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Default Blower belt stretch...how much ??

Anyone ever measured a used belt, compared to a new one ??

How much stretch is acceptable, if any ???

The achilles heel with my setup, for unknown reasons is my blower drive.

It seems with a 10 rib Gates green stripe, tensioned to over 100lbft using a torque wrench on Vortech's manual tensioner system will survive fine. Compared to a new belt and old one I have, is only stretched about 3/8-1/2"

Pic of my tensioner below. Ignore pulleys, its an old pic.

But I get belt slip that seems to start from around 5500rpm, maxing at around 14-15psi at 6000rpm.

I tried an "Optibelt" brand of 12 rib ( my pulleys are 12 rib ) which seemed to stretch something shocking, and did survive for a while. When it was working, I was seeing 19psi at 7000rpm, and 15psi at 6000rpm ( just slightly higher than what I had with the 10 rib )
I think when I measured a belt after a very short period of use, it had stretched around 1-1.5"

I now have a Gates 12 rib, termed "Extra Service" ( we dont get the green stripe in UK/Euro, but apparently this is an equivalent )

Again, this belt has only seen very limited useage, and upon measuring, already it has stretched almost 1".
This was tensioned to 100lbft again using a torque wrench in the manual tensioner.
This belt was offering me the same 19psi at 7000rpm.

I'm open to trying any brand of 12 rib 63" belt out there, but sourcing any is difficult, as very few manufacturers seem to offer them.

Failing that, How much tension could I put on a 10-rib without fear of damaging the blower bearings ( been there done that )

I'd like a strut brace....but thats another "sourcing" problem

Quick Reply: Blower belt stretch...how much ??