Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is BOV causing idle to go up and down??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Is BOV causing idle to go up and down??

Another guy on here mentiond his car does the same as mine. And his BOV opens and closes as its doing it.
It idles really good once in awhile but then it will slowly start to go up and down and then progressively get worse having to put it in neutral or give it a little gas. Maybe the BOV is feeding it? And gets going on a cycle of up and down.

We both have the 224/224 .580/.580 112 cam with turbo. Despite a few people saying the 112 cam wont work good with a turbo...it does work pretty good. Just having low vacuum at idle and once it awhile it goes into its fits.

Anything I can do to get this to not have idle issues? Is the BOV causing it?
I dont want to lose it. But what to do?
Thanks.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm definatly not the most turbo intelligent person, but my buddy built up a 347R block stroker mustang hatch back, and it had a single 76 turbo and all kinds of other goodies, and after a days worth of tuning, when we took it off the dyno and were going over a few other odd's 'n' ends, it would start to make this weird vacuum leak noise at idle and then make a strange whistle as it would idle up and down like you mentioned yours did, it ended up the surge in the motor was actually pushing the Throttle blade open a little bit making it get all weird, we threw a throttle return spring on the TB and it was fine....

maybe check and see if that's happening, it's easy enough to check in a few minutes!
Old 10-21-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

What kind of BOV do you have? My last one (Tial) would flutter during idle and caused this. You can hear it too. I adjusted the spring pressure set screw on the back of the BOV and it fixed it.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It is a Tial 50mm. I know the throttle blade wouldnt be forced open, my GT45 turbo barely moves on idle, so if anything it is lacking air to idle. Did you raise or lower the spring pressure?
Old 10-21-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe i raised it.

Quick Reply: Is BOV causing idle to go up and down??