Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Exhaust leak at Flange for turbo...what to do??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Exhaust leak at Flange for turbo...what to do??

The title could be a smidge misleading. I have a flange on the I-pipe that connects to a pipe that runs to the exhuast housing of the STS turbo kit. Without welding this as crap would get all in the pipes and kill the turbo, what kind of setup can I use to get it to seal. Water/condensation is dripping out when the car is out idle at the flange. I've used an aluminum gasket and tightened the crap out of the bolts...but it still leaks.

Also, please no machine shopping...I don't have time for that right now...too much has already been done to start going backwards. Maybe some silicone RTV stuff and a double gasket...copper gasket? Please help...thanks!

As you can see from the picture, it is the flange over on the right...not anything that actually connects to the exhaust housing or turbo itself...all that is good
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust leak at Flange for turbo...what to do??-img_1539-1-.jpg  

Last edited by pdanrichey; 02-15-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

i've used copper high temp stuff with good luck........but it won't last forever
Old 02-14-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i use red rtv on all of my flanges. It will fill in small irregularities on the surface, but a flame will have no problem blowing it out. I usually use rtv on slip fit connections.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:57 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Red RTV and the percy aluminum gasket. Also make sure there isn't much stress on the connection from the weight of the turbo.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

I bought a copper gasket that has a rounded bead that goes inside the pipe where it fits to the flange. I also bought that high-temp copper stuff to paste a little on the sides for extra seal. I hope this works...I've come too far to get on the dyno Tuesday and make like 4 psi b/c of an exhaust leak

I un-did the flange last night and used a jack to hold the turbo up. I tightened the flange so much, I about sprained my wrist getting the bolts off...it was SOOOO close to being stripped out (that would have really sucked!!)

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak at Flange for turbo...what to do??