Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

exhaust side of turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default exhaust side of turbo

I have the sts kit, and I painted the outside of my 'hot' turbo side, its doing fine, some rust is coming through but its fine.

what I was wondering about is that I took a look inside the hot side of the turbine and there is rust on the inside. just a little rust by where the blades move on, and then a good bit of rust down past the wheel that moves. the area that the rust is in, that part doesn't move...

is it okay to have rust like this?/ rust period?

I'm about to drive the car up to charlotte and get it retuned, and got to wondering if I should pull off the hot side and send it off to garrett and get it re-finished/polished so it won't rust anymore anywhere on the turbo.

The intake ('cold') side is fine, no rust, no oil... we are good... just got to wondering about the 'hot side' of things and that rust...
Old 03-04-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

anybody? i mean wtf...has anyone else noticed it...or ever seen it... at least tell me that i need to get it re-done before something goes bad. where all my turbo experts at? lol
Old 03-04-2007, 10:52 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
anybody? i mean wtf...has anyone else noticed it...or ever seen it... at least tell me that i need to get it re-done before something goes bad. where all my turbo experts at? lol
I know that on our turbo diesel trucks & equipment it doesn't hurt anything. They have been rusty for many many years & never gave us any trouble. HTH
Old 03-04-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

thanks, I will try and talk to my buddy and see what he thinks about it. I figured its on the 'hot' side and leaves the car... so really there would be no harm in it unless it causes the turbine to lock up...which i don't see how that would happen.

i will probably get it re-done like the new turbos where they won't rust at all(eventually )
Old 03-04-2007, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

My doesnt have any rust on the inside but a little on the outside of the hot side.... I was planning on sending it off to get the outside ceramic coated.. But you say there is a new exhaust housing?

Quick Reply: exhaust side of turbo