Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

vortech with air/water intercooler, maf, and mondo all mounted up top? is it possible

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default vortech with air/water intercooler, maf, and mondo all mounted up top? is it possible

ok, ive got the air/water intercooled vortech kit on my lt1 trans am and have maxed out the bypass that came with the kit and stepped up to an atmospheric vortech mondo valve, which is now causing me to have to run the maf up top right before the elbow to the TB and somehow fit the mondo before it in the piping. I have no clue how I am going to fit it in there and keep my abs at the same time. has anyone else ran into a similar problem or know of a solution?

the two options I can see right now are...

1. Lose the ABS and go SD to lose the MAF and mount it in the newfound space.

or...

2. Run a 2 inch pipe off of the cold side intercooler pipe directly across the intake manifold and mount the bypass over the passenger side head. But Im not sure what having an extra foot of 2 inch piping run off the intercooler pipe would do to the airflow or bypass venting characteristics...

Any ideas?
Old 03-22-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i would do option number two. Just make sure you can recirc it
Old 03-22-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well with option 2, i would be venting before the maf so I wouldnt need to recirculate, plus it would be tough considering all of my intake piping would be on the complete opposite end of the engine bay.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is my amazingly accurate sketch of what I had in mind. THe reason I cannot mount it in the factory location above the blower is the lack of room with the Radiator/Rad Hoses, and ABS
Attached Thumbnails vortech with air/water intercooler, maf, and mondo all mounted up top? is it possible-mondo.jpg  
Old 03-22-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i think youre pretty much good to go
Old 03-22-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you could angle the pipe inlet a bit less than the 90 degree angle shown, the flow from the IC outlet pipe would be cleaner and more effective. Your idea would work fine but you must have a K&N filter on the Mondo outlet because at light cruise a decen percentage of your air will come in through that large orifice. Maybe have to make a CAI intake for it!

Dig the sketch...

Also, could you modify the IC to mount a bypass directly on its outlet-side or inlet-side tank? Still need the K&N... Just thinking outside the box... All you need is a controllable, post-blower, pre-MAF opening, right?

Jim

Quick Reply: vortech with air/water intercooler, maf, and mondo all mounted up top? is it possible