Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cooling problem update: "F" you, EWP....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:44 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cooling problem update: "F" you, EWP....

So many of you know my struggle to keep this car cool, its been an ongoing issue since going 408/FI. I went with several fans, removed A/C, all kinds of crap. So I moved my ic as far up as I could get it, which opened a nice big gap between it and the crossmember. I moved the radiator forward to attempt to fit the stock fans back in (not even close). While under the car relocating my tranny cooler and piping, I look up and notice what appears to be grease on the bottom of the EWP motor. Its leaking the permanent lube, which could cause all sorts of problems. I have been having another problem with low voltage, like something was drawing a ton of power.

I had another (stock) water pump and 160 stat, so I took the EWP out and swapped it in. Put the car back together using the same fans I had before, and haven't made any shrouding for airflow direction.

I fired it up, had a hard time getting the air out, but I think I got it now. I can sit there idling (its pretty warm today, mid 80's) and never broke 190. I'm happy that the problem appears to be resolved, just wish I hadn't spent so much $$$ and time fighting what really wasn't the problem. Chalk it up to lack of experience on EWP's. I even called Meziere when we first had this problem and they said basically that the water pump couldn't cause this problem. Today I called them and the tech guy said it was very likely it was the problem (der, thanks for that tip). So, I probably lost 5-8 RWHP, but I'll gladly trade it for a car I can drive.

I would like to say that Dan at FLP (who pretty much built this combo) has told me he thought the EWP was a problem, but I just couldn't believe it. It worked fine before. So, once again, the guy who does this **** day in and day out was right and I was wrong. I'm a dumbass for not listening. He even sent me the stock water pump and 160 stat to try out. I feel like an idiot...

So I'll be sending this EWP back to Meziere for a rebuild, not sure if I'll try it again. Its too expensive to just toss, and can probably be repaired for $100 or so. Maybe I'll sell it.

Thanks to all the guys who helped, I truly appreciate it.

Now I just gotta build some shrouding and I'll have no worries when I'm out street racing...errrrr...grocery shopping at night.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you were able to find the problem.I guess now you can give it hell!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good find man... that sucks about the mezeire but that happens... A consistent car is way more important than one that can ran an amazing time one or two times and then crap out on you...