Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

heat wrapping

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heat wrapping

i'm loosing about half a pound of boost when i dynoed my trans am. i heard that if you heat wrap the turbo piping all the way to the turbo that will help for lost boost and make it spool up quicker. however i need to know where to start wrapping and where to stop and what not to wrap and what to wrap. i bought a big *** roll of heat wrap yesterday. i also need to know do i wrap the pip just once or go around it a few times? any input would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What exactly do you mean by 'losing half a pound'? Also what car and turbo kit are you running?

Wrapping the hot side of the turbo piping will cause the piping to retain more heat which will help with spooling of the turbo. As far as wrapping it, you just wrap it around it overlapping it slightly and secure it every foot or so with stainless zip ties or even hose clamps.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Teching In

i mean im loosing 1/2 lb of boost because when i dynoed it and have it set at 8lbs it is only giving me 7 1/2 lbs. i have the sts turbo kit with gt67 turbo on a 2000 ws6.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you using a boost controller or going strictly off the wastegate spring? Is the wastegate referenced from the intake manifold? If you're running off only the spring, I wouldn't consider it abnormal, and wouldn't worry about it. If you're running off a MBC just give it another click...
Old 06-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Teching In

i'm using an electronic boost controller that is set at 8psi. it runs 8psi from 1st-3rd gear then 4th it only pushes 7.5.

Quick Reply: heat wrapping