Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What Intercooler? SS or Non SS Piping?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What Intercooler? SS or Non SS Piping?

Im gonna build my own fmic kit casue i have everything and then some to do this im gonna tig weld the piping and make all my own. My questions are:

What brand intercooler do i use?

What size intercooler?

Stainless or Non Stainless piping? (I want to use stainless)

Where and what brand silicone connectors to get?

Thats about it i think lol. Anyone have any aditional comments or pics they can post up of pipe routing. I know i can build a better kit even with stainless for probally half price of sponsors kits. Any advise will be appreciated.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone...
Old 07-06-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

well if youre tig welding, that should be pretty simple on what metal to use...the reason your questions havent been answered yet is because they've been answered plenty of times already, so a search should really help you out alot.
As far as IC's are concerned, just about any brand should work...be it...griffin, obx, vs, bell, precision, custom or spearco...check with either EPP or TRT on the sponsor list...I know they carry fmic's that will probably support what youre trying to do.
good luck!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got my i/c from vsracing ...sponsor on turbomustangs. I got theirs because it is 33x12x4 instead of the usual 31x12x4....i figured 2 more inches would be better
I got my cold piping from ebay.....had 6-90 degree pipes....polished aluminum though it was pretty dull when it got here. it came with some blue couplers and some clamps that i thought i would throw away but they are holding up well so far with no issues. I think the pipes/silicone/clamps combo was lie 90-125 shipped.
I found it...here is the cold piping i got
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-INT...39670088QQrdZ1
Old 07-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Banned

I do all mine in 304 stainless. I have done it in aluminum also. SS is more expensive and heavier than aluminum. I use 3" pipe for the cold side of my setups. Silcone coupler can be had from Foreced Inductions. Be sure to get 4ply or higher. The intercooler size is totaly up to you and your HP goals. Yes you can build a couple of FMIC setup for the price of one FMIC kit from some sponsors. Will it be better? That is based around your fab skills. When bying a kit you pay for a bolt on no hassel setup.

I hope I have helped.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Josh @ KYTP
I do all mine in 304 stainless. I have done it in aluminum also. SS is more expensive and heavier than aluminum. I use 3" pipe for the cold side of my setups. Silcone coupler can be had from Foreced Inductions. Be sure to get 4ply or higher. The intercooler size is totaly up to you and your HP goals. Yes you can build a couple of FMIC setup for the price of one FMIC kit from some sponsors. Will it be better? That is based around your fab skills. When bying a kit you pay for a bolt on no hassel setup.

I hope I have helped.
I think im gonna use the intercooler you used. Also is there any advantages to using stainless over the aluminum or vise versa?

Also i tried to search but the search never works for me i dontknow what the deal is with it.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt....What brand intercooler is everyone using? I found most ppl are using a 31x12x4 with 3" In/Out. Anyone using differant size? Im gonna use stainless piping wiht a procharger race bypass. Anyone got any pics of there tubing routing? I would really appreciate some pics please cause search is not working.

Quick Reply: What Intercooler? SS or Non SS Piping?