Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo and Tuning problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo and Tuning problems

My car is a 2004 GTO. I had a custom turbo install completed with a PTE 74GTS, FMIC, heads, cam, exhaust and fuel system. The car after a year of problems and issues made it back from the shop. The tune was off and was only making about 460 HP to teh wheels at 4 psi. Don at Dez racing helped me out with trying to retune the car. Needless to say the tune was completely off when he bagan. After a couple of passes he said that there was something seriously wrong with the computer and possibly a mechanical proble. He tried to fix the problem by goign to a speed density tune. This still didnt fix the problem. Actually its worse. The car is running over 200% fuel. And is running a 9:1 A/F. It gets 4 mpg. Luckily the car hasnt destroyed itself. I need some advice on where to start to fix the problems.
Any suggestions or help you can give is much appreciated. I'm already out 14 grand or so..I just want the car the way iot should be......THANKS
Old 08-06-2007, 01:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don would know better than us since he has dealt with the car and knows the setup
Old 08-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the response,
Although Don went out of his way to help me out when I dropped the car off, he coulodnt diagnosis what was causeing the issues. I'm thinking of outting in a moates roadrunner PCM and new 60lb injectors instead of the 50s that are in it now. I am just looking for some advice before I start wasteing the rest of money.
Even though it was about a year ago, I would like to thank Don and the rest of the guys at Dez racing. They went above and beyond trying to help me out.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:37 PM
9 Second Club

Why would you want to go with bigger injector's if you are at a 9.1a/f. Can you get the computer flashed back to stock and start over. I think any dealership can do that,or a tuner if you know of one.Being so rich it could possibly wash the ring's if it is a new motor.I would try and start over with the program being flashed to stock first and go from there.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Thanks,
I was told that the 50lb injectors that are in it are very difficult to tune with and that the 60's are much easier. As far as going back to stock, from what I understand, some of the parameters have been locked. That's why I was planning on putting in the Roadrunner. I know nearly nothing about tuning so all the advice is welcomed. Teh car was retuned tuned with EFI live and is now running a speed density tune.
Thanks again
Old 08-06-2007, 02:46 PM
9 Second Club

If your computer is locked then the dealership can unlock it and put it back to stock. Not sure about the ability to tune the 50lb'er's. I have 60's also.
Check with your local dealership's about getting your computer flashed back to stock.I think here they charge around 150.00 or so to do it.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:52 PM
9 Second Club

roadrunner is only going to allow you to do all your tuning realtime....your stock pcm with efilive is just going to be a slower process but result in the same tune. 50s SHOULD be able to be tuned though......i got 96#ers with an impedance converter and they tuned fine. Wonder if you got one hung open or something like that