Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Accessory belt rubbing with ATI

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Accessory belt rubbing with ATI

98 TA, The accessory drive belt is rubbing the hex standoff between the alternator and headunit. I have a feeling that a previous owner put some new pulleys on it and the alt is overdriven. I've got the 7.5 (approx) ATI crank pulley which should be the factory size... The alt pulley is only 2 inches. I don't have anything to compare to at the moment... Anyone run into this before? Does this theory seem feasible?
Old 09-17-2007, 06:00 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post some pic's if you can, so we can see what is going on. Thanks. Bob
Old 09-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Launching!

OK, here;s what I've got... Excuse the mess, everything's got nice little coating of rubber fuzz now . The crank pulley is right about 7 inches in dia... Blower pulley slightly larger at 7.25 (7.5 at the lip). The contact isn't massive but it's obviously happening as you can see by the standoff... If the alt pulley was a 1/2 inch larger in diameter, the 1/4 inch of clearance would have me set. The standoff is clocked for the most clearance. Shown is the rubbing area, alt diameter measurement, and the belt part number (which should be the factory length). I'm sure I can fab up something with a thinner standoff, but I kinda figured somebody else might have seen this. Any info would be appreciated... My next month is pretty busy and the less time I spend on this problem, the better .
Attached Thumbnails Accessory belt rubbing with ATI-ta-005.jpg   Accessory belt rubbing with ATI-ta-004.jpg   Accessory belt rubbing with ATI-ta-002.jpg  
Old 09-17-2007, 10:50 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The alternator belt shouldnt be there at all unless the power steering isnt on the car. Best pic I have is here, the belt goes up over the idler and not directly to the alternator. If you have the power steering off then you need to make a pulley setup so you can run the belt direct to the alternator like in the 1st pic.

Last edited by kp; 12-14-2008 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, shouldn't even be close to the standoffs. This pic is before I reinstalled my standoffs but should give ya the general ideal.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Launching!

AWSOME guys! THANK YOU! Looks like somebody decided to run the belt according to their own ideas. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Accessory belt rubbing with ATI