Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost vs timing

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost vs timing

Ok guys this should probably go in the tuning section but it has to do with a turbo car so i figured id put it here so here goes. I am assembling my motor as we speak and i had some questions on the base tune and timing to get started this is my first go around with injection but i wanna learn. ok the motor is an lq4 with forged internals and ported 317 heads a speed inc tu1 cam and a org warner s400 76trim with a 1.32 ar. Im using the megasquirt II for the fuel and the msd ls box for timing now i have an 05 silverado with a 5.3 and i scaned it with hp tuners to take out the throttle delay on it and i happened to glance at the total timing its putting in and it seems way high i believe it was like 60 Now if its not too big a secret what would be a ballpark for me to start with this thing and how much timing do you pull per pound of boost? Any help would be appreciated guys like i said im new to the injection thing but know once its sorted out itll be worth it.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

60 was probably at a no load spot.
Timing will depend on the type of fuel, amount boost, and your dynamic compression. Just to name a couple out of 100 variables lol.

I start on low boost and keep the timing low and work my way up. At modarate boost I will start with 10 degrees at torque peak and 12 or so at hp peak. Just sneek up on it nice and slow like.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Oh yeah kinda forgot that stuff haha. the motor is 8.5 to 1 and id like to run around 20psi if i can on pump its an air to air with meth. also does anyone know if ms II will support a knock sensor? It would make me feel a lot safer if it did
Old 09-30-2007, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

On a engine like that, when you get into knock and the sensor picks it up...most of the time its too late.

Quick Reply: Boost vs timing